Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By mimisunshine Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm by Frankyola

mimisunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimisunshine Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all - can someone tell me how to apply ribbon on buttercream iced cakes? I love the look of ribbon around the border, but I don't know how to keep the shortening from coming through onto the ribbon and making it look greasy. Also how do you attach at the ends? I tried using a little royal icing but it didn't stick well enough and it also made a stain on the ribbon. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance.

3 replies
sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

I have only put ribbon around a cake once, after reading all the suggestions on cc. I sprayed the ribbon with Pam, wiped off the excess and it worked great. The royal icing didn't work for me either, so I just pined the ends together with a big pin. It worked, it was in the back so it didn't show. Hope this helps..

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

I have used it on a lot of my buttercream cakes. I wait until I deliver the cake if it's not too far in advance of the wedding reception to put my ribbon(s) on. If it's going to be awhile before the reception, then I will put a smaller width than the ribbon of wax paper behind the ribbon. I use a very small piece of tape to secure mine together on the backside of my cake.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%