My Fondant Went Elastic . . Why?

Decorating By Caths_Cakes Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm by Caths_Cakes

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 5

new pack of fondant, in date, fresh, tastes yummy . . .yet it seemed firmer, almost like a gumpaste texture . . and when i started rolling it, it was springing back on its self like dough bread does, hence it being elastic!!! i dont know why or how , but it took me ten minutes to roll a circle big enuf to cover a 5'' round . . . my arms where aching after lol!!!!!

its covered the cake fabulous, its really smooth and looks great . .But i cant understand why its gone springy??? any advice would be great as im just a newb icon_smile.gif

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 5

Did you knead it first?

Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 5

Yup i certainly did, gave it a good knead so it was nice and smooth and in a round before rolling. Didnt do anything different to what i would normally do .

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 5

Hmmm. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was colder than usual. I've never had that happen to me. What brand were you using? I only use Satin Ice.

Caths_Cakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 5

It was just a generic ' ready to roll icing' from the supermarket asda (im british icon_smile.gif i think it might of been the cold actally, i hadnt thought of that. i had my back door open as it was hot in the kitchen and i didnt want it to hot for the frosting . . perhaps it was too cold!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%