Want To Know Everything About Fondant

Decorating By Jen1966 Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm by tx_cupcake

Jen1966 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new at cake decorating and am trying to teach myself through reading books and watching cake decorating dvd's and videos. Is there someplace I can go on CC to find out everything about fondant and how to work with it or is there a good how to book that you would recommend me to get?

4 replies
sarahpierce Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 5

Look up recipes for marshmellow fondant (mmf) in the recipe section here on cc. You may want to buy some wilton fondant first to get the feel for it. That way when you make your own fondant, (which is much cheaper and better tasting) you will know how it is suppose to feel. Also you can do a search in the forums for fondant and look in the articles. I am completely self taught and I have come so far since joining CC. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

aggiechef Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 5

Definitely get a package of the Wilton fondant to play around with. It'll help get a feel for how fondant works and what it feels like. However, don't let the Wilton stuff be your basis for taste. It tastes horrible. (i liken it to chewing on sheet metal, but that's just me)

Once you're ready to get some for tasting purposes, I personally recommend Satin Ice or Choco Pan. I haven't tried the MMF yet, but I'm about to. I'd never heard of that until I started reading these forum posts. Gotta love CC...so many fantastic ideas and recipes. I've used both Satin Ice and Choco Pan and like them for different things.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with different things. I use my coworkers as guinea pigs all the time and they love it. They'll be the ones that get to try the MMF when I get around to making it. Fondant is a lot of fun to work with.

tiggy2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 5

sugarshack's "Flawless Fondant" DVD is excellent. It takes you step by step through covering a cake with fondant. I highly recommend it. Her website is www.sugaredproductions.com

tx_cupcake Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 5

I second getting the Flawless Fondant DVD. It is a truly valuable tool. I just got it for my birthday and LOVE it! You will not be disappointed. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%