Re-Whipping Imbc-Help

Decorating By Susans53 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 11:46am by say_it_with_cake

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I made my IMBC icing a day ahead, refriderated it and brought it to room temp. Then, when I tried to re whip it, the whole thing separated It was a watery mess. What did I do wrong?
Thanks
Susan

8 replies
Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 9

Just keep whipping it. It'll come back together once all the ingredients warm up and reach the same temp. If you are in a hurry then you can heat the bowl with a torch or warm cloth. It will always seperate and look terrible when you first start re-beating it.

Imapirate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imapirate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

Also Italian Meringue Buttercream is fine sitting out overnight. It won't go bad that quickly.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 9

You may have to beat it for quite awhile, and it will look awful, but it will come back.

I never EVER would leave IMBC sitting out, no matter what the recipes say it's good for at room temp. Too scary.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

Yup, just keep beating. You can torch the bowl a little to warm it up.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:34am
post #6 of 9

I hope it worked and you didn't give up on it! You really do have to let it sit out for a good long time to make sure it's truly room temp. I often use my digital thermometer just to make sure, as I know it can be so heartbreaking to see it break. Don't forget, if it goes totally soupy on you (rather than curdly) then it's actually too WARM and chilling it a while will fix the problem. Don't ever throw out IMBC or we will have to whup you! icon_wink.gif

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:53am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Don't ever throw out IMBC or we will have to whup you! icon_wink.gif

Funny you say that ceshell, yesterday I did throw a batch out! icon_redface.gif
I usually use smbc but read somewhere that imbc holds up better in humidity so I gave it a try.

The second the syrup hit the meringue it tried to solidify, leaving little chewy lumps all through the icing. No matter how I tried I just couldn't get rid of them icon_mad.gif

I made sure I avoided the beaters and the bowl, what went wrong?

It was VERY humid here so would that have anything to do with it?

Sorry to hijack the thread icon_wink.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:55am
post #8 of 9

Whoops, nevermind, I forgot, that is a reason you are allowed to throw it out icon_redface.gif.

What method/recipe did you use to make the IMBC? I use Rose Levy Berenbaum (sp?)'s Moussline Buttercream, where you heat the syrup to 248, turn off the beater and pour in a bit of syrup, then whip 5 secs, then turn off and pour more in, then whip 5 secs, then pour the rest in. I am by no means an expert but for some reason this has always worked. (I hope I didn't just curse myself).

For what it's worth I have had to throw out SMBC twice because I cannot manage to keep the EW from scrambling. Chewy egg flecks, yuk!

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:46am
post #9 of 9

Oooh Mousseline Buttercream is in the Cake Bible right? Love that book! I haven't tried it but will next time. I'm sure you haven't cursed yourself btw lol icon_smile.gif

The first time I made smbc it scrambled, so now I lightly beat the egg whites till just frothy before putting them over the heat - haven't had a problem since. Also make sure the bowl isn't touching the water underneath thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%