Re-Whipping Imbc-Help

Decorating By Susans53 Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 11:46am by say_it_with_cake

Susans53 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, so I made my IMBC icing a day ahead, refriderated it and brought it to room temp. Then, when I tried to re whip it, the whole thing separated It was a watery mess. What did I do wrong?
Thanks
Susan

8 replies
Imapirate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 9

Just keep whipping it. It'll come back together once all the ingredients warm up and reach the same temp. If you are in a hurry then you can heat the bowl with a torch or warm cloth. It will always seperate and look terrible when you first start re-beating it.

Imapirate Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

Also Italian Meringue Buttercream is fine sitting out overnight. It won't go bad that quickly.

Chef_Stef Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 9

You may have to beat it for quite awhile, and it will look awful, but it will come back.

I never EVER would leave IMBC sitting out, no matter what the recipes say it's good for at room temp. Too scary.

mamacc Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 9

Yup, just keep beating. You can torch the bowl a little to warm it up.

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:34am
post #6 of 9

I hope it worked and you didn't give up on it! You really do have to let it sit out for a good long time to make sure it's truly room temp. I often use my digital thermometer just to make sure, as I know it can be so heartbreaking to see it break. Don't forget, if it goes totally soupy on you (rather than curdly) then it's actually too WARM and chilling it a while will fix the problem. Don't ever throw out IMBC or we will have to whup you! icon_wink.gif

say_it_with_cake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:53am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Don't ever throw out IMBC or we will have to whup you! icon_wink.gif

Funny you say that ceshell, yesterday I did throw a batch out! icon_redface.gif
I usually use smbc but read somewhere that imbc holds up better in humidity so I gave it a try.

The second the syrup hit the meringue it tried to solidify, leaving little chewy lumps all through the icing. No matter how I tried I just couldn't get rid of them icon_mad.gif

I made sure I avoided the beaters and the bowl, what went wrong?

It was VERY humid here so would that have anything to do with it?

Sorry to hijack the thread icon_wink.gif

ceshell Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 8:55am
post #8 of 9

Whoops, nevermind, I forgot, that is a reason you are allowed to throw it out icon_redface.gif.

What method/recipe did you use to make the IMBC? I use Rose Levy Berenbaum (sp?)'s Moussline Buttercream, where you heat the syrup to 248, turn off the beater and pour in a bit of syrup, then whip 5 secs, then turn off and pour more in, then whip 5 secs, then pour the rest in. I am by no means an expert but for some reason this has always worked. (I hope I didn't just curse myself).

For what it's worth I have had to throw out SMBC twice because I cannot manage to keep the EW from scrambling. Chewy egg flecks, yuk!

say_it_with_cake Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:46am
post #9 of 9

Oooh Mousseline Buttercream is in the Cake Bible right? Love that book! I haven't tried it but will next time. I'm sure you haven't cursed yourself btw lol icon_smile.gif

The first time I made smbc it scrambled, so now I lightly beat the egg whites till just frothy before putting them over the heat - haven't had a problem since. Also make sure the bowl isn't touching the water underneath thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%