First Order With Gsa

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm by AlanT

cakesbydina Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 15

Generally i am happy with the product line of GSA and their prices are competitive however, I am a little bummed that they do not make any exchanges or returns on most items and charge a 20% restocking fee on the ones they do. I understand perishable items not being returnable but I am talking about unopened silicone molds and cake boards. These are small light weight items and it doesn't seem right that there is a restocking fee for these items. People make mistakes and i do a lot of business online and only use company's that care about complete customer satisfaction which includes exchanges/returns with no restocking fee and S+H reimbursements. If they want to keep my business they have to keep me happy. Not sure about using GSA in the future. If I make a mistake I have to pay for it and in the end that isn't good business.

14 replies
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 15

I generally have to pay for my own mistakes as well as those of others. I like GSA. I have had quick shopping and lots of places charge re-stocking fees. Few if any pay for return shipping unless it's their fault.

I mean your order might have triggered then to restock that item. So they order more from the manufacturer, who might require them to purcahse a half dozen or ten or something.

You return it and now they are overstocked. Maybe they have to order x amount of dollars from that manufacturer in order to place the re-order. Now they have invested x amount plus now an overstock.

Business is business. I mean if you make a mistake, you want them to cover for you?

I don't know any company that reimburses for s&h unless it's a special promotion.

I'm just shooting straight with you. They are a good company. Sell it on e-bay maybe?

cakesbydina Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 15

Like I said I do a lot of business online and there are plenty of company's who will do exhcanges or returns and not charge you S=H as well as no restocking fee. These are non-parishable unopened packages it seems to me that if in person it's not what I was looking for then I should be able to exchange it for what I need. THat is good business. People make mistakes and when ordering online you need to have that backup knowing that if it's the wrong item you won't be stuck with it. Any company should be willing to bend over backwards for you with a large order and make sure that you are completely satisfied with your order if they expect repeat business. Isn't that what makes the world go round? If I knew that I can make a return or exhange easily you will get my business 100% of the time vs. a Company that does not. Who would you do business with?

susieqpotts Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 15

OMG! You are expecting alot. They have a great website with their return policy clearly posted. If you think they should bend on their policy for returns for one, then they would have to bend on their policy for all. I have worked at a shipping company before and there are a lot of steps that have to be taken to ensure that your order not only goes out quickly, but correctly. Once the order is placed, the items are picked, packed, weighed, labeled and shipped. That doesn't happen in a matter of seconds. It takes a whole staff to do that and if the mistake made is yours, then why should someone else have to pay for it? A 20% restocking fee is nothing compared to not letting you return the item at all. They have a great website, fast shipping, and great customer service.

cakesbydina Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 15

I am certainly not here to bash GSA as I said in my previous post they have good prices and a generally good product line however I have done business with online company's that do not have such a strict policy concerning their returns/exchanges. One has to expect that something online vs. something in person can be a whole different perception which is why I prefer not to take the gamble of being "stuck" with something I do not need. Who would? I did 99% of my christmas shopping online this year for my family of 6 and I made quite a few exchanges/returns with no hassle or extra cost and even had one company send me a replacement item because the item they sent me came broken. Of course this is on the honor system, they have no idea if it actually arrived broken and did not require me to send it back. It's good business and good customer service to assume the customer is always right. I give my business to these company's for that extra security when purchasing items online. This is all I am saying.

jo_ann Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 15

I have been to GSA and the amount of merchandise he carries and the amount of internet business he does in unreal. Him and his staff is continuously getting shipments of items in that have to be inventoried and put in the computer. It then has to have an item # put on it and then stocked on the shelves. At the same time his staff has to print out and fill orders, pack them and get them shipped. For GSA to charge a 20% restocking fee is not unreasonable. If an item is returned it still takes time for someone to inspect it, reenter it into the system and restock it.
And no I don't work for them, I am just lucky to live close enough that I actually get to visit their store. Alan and his staff are fantastic and always willing to answer any questions you can have.

Jo-Ann

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 15

I am respectfully disagreeing with you. If you make the mistake, GSA (nor any retailer) should not have to pay for it.

I am a retailer as well (albeit a fairly new one). k8memphis explained it VERY well. Additionally, when you expect this (somewhat unreal) level of service, it does come at a price. The cost gets absorbed somewhere, and my guess is that the other retailers you purchase from knock their prices up somewhat (even if you are not noticing it) to cover this kind of "service".

It is NOT unfair to ask you to pay for your own mistake.

I can also say that Alan does an unreal amount of work in obtaining the items he is able to offer. He has a wonderful selection of several items that I would kill to be able to offer to my customers.

GSA is definitely a company I enjoy doing business with. I dearly wish Alan ran a wholesale company...he sure beats the suppliers I have to deal with on a daily basis...

Cak3mama Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 15

I say if you make a mistake and that is the company policy then Put is on e-bay and make some money off it !!
Then everyone is happy icon_smile.gif

Peridot Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:05pm
post #9 of 15

I placed my first order with GSA last week and spent a lot of time on the phone with the customer service person (who was very helpful and pleasant) to order rose petal cutters, rose leaf cutters, veiners and some other items.

Well - I am very unhappy with the leaf cutters - the veiners don't even come close to matching up and the cutters are not at all what I wanted. Now I am stuck with them and will have to spend more money in hopes of finding some that I like. This was not my error or my fault - the customer service person recommended them and they are bad news.

I have always been under the impression that you should order cutters and veiners in sets so that they match. I don't see anything like that on GSA.

So I am now looking some place else to order rose leaf cutters and veiners (hopefully in a set so that they match up to each other) and I will look for a company with a better return policy. Can anyone suggest a company that carries worthwhile veiners and cutters?

I am also looking for tulip petal cutters & veiners and tulip leaf cutters and veiners. Can anyone recommend a company that sells these?

stephaniescakenj Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 15

I don't get it? icon_confused.gif Are you saying you ordered something, it wasn't what you wanted and you're mad because you have to pay to ship it back and a restocking fee? Is that what happened or was the item misrepresented online and it's not what you thought you were getting? I ordered a mold from Alan once, it didn't specify the size, I didn't think about it before hand and when I got it, it was really tiny so I paid to return it and the restocking fee. I was just happy he took it back and I wasn't stuck with it? It was my own fault for not asking how big it was before i placed my order. You can't expect a company to pay for your mistakes if that's the case.

Scott Clark Woolley sells cutters/veiners on his site and he's very helpful in figuring out what you need to complete the flower, like wire sizes and stamens, proper color, etc.

susanscakecreations Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I generally have to pay for my own mistakes as well as those of others. I like . I have had quick shopping and lots of places charge re-stocking fees. Few if any pay for return shipping unless it's their fault.

I mean your order might have triggered then to restock that item. So they order more from the manufacturer, who might require them to purcahse a half dozen or ten or something.

You return it and now they are overstocked. Maybe they have to order x amount of dollars from that manufacturer in order to place the re-order. Now they have invested x amount plus now an overstock.

Business is business. I mean if you make a mistake, you want them to cover for you?

I don't know any company that reimburses for s&h unless it's a special promotion.

I'm just shooting straight with you. They are a good company. Sell it on e-bay maybe?

Totally agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^

cblupe Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 15

BJNC, I order alot of my veiners and cutters from Nicholas Lodge. Am very satisfied with his stuff. You can also get instruction sheets and dvd's at a very reasonable price. He is an awesome instructor.

Carol

Peridot Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 15

cblupe
Carol,

Thanks - I will check out Nicholas Lodge. I appreciate your responding to my question.

I need to find the tulip cutters.

Barb

miss_sweetstory Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 15

Global Sugarart's return policies and shipping policies are very clearly stated on their site. If you don't like the policies you have some options:
(1) don't shop with them
(2) email Alan with your concerns (My one interaction with him leads me to think that his answer to you will be respectful and pleasant, even if not what you wanted to hear.)

AlanT Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 15

I would like to respond to the posting by BJNZ.

If a customer ever has a problem with GSA, I would hope that they would call or email us prior to posting here on CC. Posting here does not solve the problem for either of us.

I remember this order very well. Lisa took your call and placed you on hold a few times to consult with me. She also opened products and measured them for your while one the phone. Even though the order process took a very long time, Lisa had no problem accommodating you with courtesy and patience.

Matching sets of veiners and cutters are uncommon. Sunflower Sugar Art and FMM both have a few sets for specific flowers. Veiners are designed so that you can vein several sizes of leaves and petals by placing them in the correct spot of the veiner. If you have ever taken a class in gumpaste flowers, the teachers often use one or two veiners for everything they make during the class.

I fully realize the large variety of products can be overwhelming, especially for beginners. We are always available for help as well as the CC members if you post questions to them for guidance. However, the final ordering is up to the customer and we never pressure someone into buying something they do not want.

Thank you. Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%