Banana Cheesecake Topping Opinions

Decorating By imakecakes Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm by Sarsi

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hi friends, my boss challenged me yesterday at work and wanted me to come up with a banana cheesecake off the cuff... icon_eek.gif

So, I added mashed bananas mixed with banana liquor to the batter, baked it up and put in the cooler to chill overnight. We decided to try a bananas foster today as a topping. Do you think the banana's will stay firm and not get brown and mushy after pouring them on top?

This is a restaurant, so the pieces are served by the slice over several days or until it's gone. I need the topping to look nice over a few days.

Has anyone done this? Should I stick with a simple caramel topping? We really want to include the bananas on top tho' Thanks!!

7 replies
Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 8

I have not tried this but my gut tells me no. I think the bananas will break down and be either brownish or slimy after the 1st day. Your caramel topping sounds good, maybe with toasted pecans? You could grind up vanilla wafters and cover top, then top with swirls of stabelized whiped cream for a banana pudding likeness?

Let us know how it turns out.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 8

how about caramel and accented banana chips? They should stay crunchy for a long while

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

what about a moussy-cream type topping? Like you would get on a banana cream pie yummmmmm!

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

Oohhh what about chocolate ganache? It would be like those chocolate covered frozen bananas - maybe strawberries? Like a banana split kind of thing let us know how it goes icon_biggrin.gif

imakecakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all for the replies! He made a carmel sauce with banana liqour, brown sugar and butter. We sliced bananas on top of the cheesecake and poured the topping over it to cover them completely. He's positive that this will seal the bananas and keep them from oxidizing--similar to the ganache idea.

I'll let you know what happens in a couple days if it lasts that long! That was a GOOD cheesecake!!

Mrsw, we already do the ganache covered bananas on our banana cream pie (Also a layer of ganache between the crust and cream) so we were looking for a different idea. They ARE yummy that way tho'!!!

imakecakes Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 8

Just to follow up in case anyone is ever wondering the same thing...

The banana cheesecake was a HUGE success and was gone, gone, gone in about 36 hours. People who tried it said it was out of this world! The bananas held up just fine under their caramel coating, too!

Thanks for your help!! thumbs_up.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 8

AWESOME!! Great job! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%