What Kind Of Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By Mae1118 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm by Mae1118

Mae1118 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 4

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if it matters much what kind and what consistency of icing is used on a cake before you fondant it? I have only done a few fondant cakes, and I have had some trouble getting the sides smooth. I think it may be at least in part because I need to let the cakes "rest" longer after I ice them, but I have a baby shower cake I am making for this weekend, and I want to make sure I get everything right on the first try this time. This is the first fondant cake I am making for someone else.

I am planning on using MMF, and I would like to use cream cheese frosting for the filling and under the fondant (I like the decorator's cream cheese recipe on this site). I usually use kind of thin consistency icing to ice my cakes, but I am wondering if using icing that is a little stiffer under the fondant might help with the settling and bulging problem? I have been rolling my fondant to somewhere between 1/4" and 1/8". Is this the right thickness? I greatly appreciate any input! Thanks!

3 replies
bashini Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, I always use buttercream. And I haven't used cream cheese frosting. And I know that in Australia, most of the decorators use Ganache under fondant.

The buttercream shouldn't be too thin or thick. Before I put the filling, I put a thick dam of buttercream around the egde. Then put the filling, not to the top of the dam, but just below. Then I let my cake rest overnight. So when I check the cake in the morning, I can see if there are any bulging. And if I can see any, I take a good knife and straighten it up.

I learnt all these from Sugarshack's DVD. So I highly recommend buying them. It helped me a lot.

If you want to see her making her buttercream, which lots of members love, here is the link,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4

HTH.

prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 4

How thick of a layer of frosting are you putting on the cake before applying the fondant? Many bakers use a crumb-coat thickness only. Some do have success with a normal thickness, but I find that about 1/2 the amount of frosting works best, so thicker than a crumb coat, but not as thick as you'd normally use if just frosting. HTH

Mae1118 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your help!

bashini - thanks for the awesome link. I have heard a lot about Sugarshack's videos, and I am seriously considering buying one. I will have to try ganache under my fondant sometime - that sounds delicious! icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell - I think I have put too much icing on my cakes in the past before I put fondant on them. The last cake I did, I tried to only use a crumb coat, but the sides of the layers were a bit uneven and I tried to fix it with icing. However, as soon as I put the fondant on the uneven sides were showing again. I think that from now on I will trim if I need to make the sides even, and just take your advice of using a thin layer of icing.

Wish me luck! My cakes are all done baking and have very smooth straight sides, so maybe things will go better this time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%