How Do I Teach Myself Sugar Art?

Decorating By AllyCake90 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 11:02am by courtney1009

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 9

Being a self-taught cake decorator, I feel passionately about all of the elements that go with it! Which is why I am very, very interested in teaching myself sugar art techniques. I don't really know where to begin...should I check out a book & use trial & error...or???
Also, does anybody have any great sites for teaching sugar art techniques? This is something that I believe will vastly improve my repertoire of "cake decorating skills." icon_smile.gif I am hoping to create some more masterpieces [with sugarart! lol] Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
icon_smile.gif

8 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 9

Welcome!

If you let us know what areas of sugar art you're most interested in, we can help steer you to resources that apply more specifically to what you'd like to learn.

In general, though, you may want to consider taking a basic Wilton decorating course through a local craft store. Even people who have been decorating a bit on their own can pick up tips through the classes.

Read the posts here on Cake Central. Lots of info here on you-name-it!

If you can learn by reading, there are MANY good books available (I recommend Nicholas Lodge's International School of Su garcraft books for the variety of techniques in them). If you are visual, you can get videos, both on YouTube and by mail order. Several of us CC'ers have books and/or videos, so when you're reading posts, check people's signature lines to see who has them available.

I've got a tutorial website that has some in-progress cakes on it. You're welcome to go there and read, and sign up to be notified when new pages are added - although I don't expect to add any more before March due to getting ready for a cake competition.

HTH,
Deanna

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 9

Best how to books or dvd's:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591487-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-611623-.html

I just picked up two Nicholas Lodge books from the library: basic and advanced sugarcraft and they're both very good.

HTH

P.S. You probably would have received responses, but you posted under the Global Sugar Art retail store forum. (It's happened to all us us!)

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 9

JanH, you always help us so much..
thanks for the links, I will check them out too..

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 9

You're most welcome, DeniseFL. icon_biggrin.gif

It's my pleasure to be a CC enabler. icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 9

There's a lot of great information out there -- what is it you want to learn? I like the book "the International book of S*garCr*ft, book 3" a lot for techniques and how to use a lot of the cake toys that are out there. Nick Lodge has some excellent DVDs on a variety of subjects. There are the ancient Wilton Encyclopedias for buttercream work (they are no longer in print, so check Ebay.) But the bottom line is no matter what you wish to learn, it's practice practice practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:20am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseFL

JanH, you always help us so much..
thanks for the links, I will check them out too..

Ditto what DeniseFL said, Thank You so much JanH, you always there to help us like this time that info help me a lot thumbs_up.gif

Cak3mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cak3mama Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 9

You also can Look on You Tube they have some great How To Videos !!!

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:02am
post #9 of 9

If you want to learn sugar flowers, you should contact Jennifer Dontz. She's a HUGE help. You can email her through her website www.jenniferdontz.com. She also has 2 dvd's. I have the fun with fondant and frills one. It's great! It teaches pearls, pressed lace, and all kinds of stuff. It's well worth the money.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%