Edible Markers?

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone ever used food edible markers on cookies iced with royal icing? Just wondering if they work?

9 replies
jovigirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 10

Anyone?

bakery_chick Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 10

I can NEVER get them to write as smoothly as they're supposed to. It makes me a little crazy. I prefer to use paint (petal/luster dust with vodka)

cookie_fun Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 10

I have used edible markers on my RI. You have to make sure your RI is really dry before you use them, and use a light touch. They work great!

bakery_chick Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 10

Hey Sweet,
What brand do you use??

jovigirl Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgreetings-il

I have used edible markers on my RI. You have to make sure your RI is really dry before you use them, and use a light touch. They work great!

Do you use Wilton brand?

krysoco Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 10

I've used 2 diff. brands before. They're not great but okay. Use light swift strokes and fill in rather than draw/write. I prefer to use vanilla extract w/food coloring/luster dust.

mjballinger Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:02am
post #8 of 10

I've done it! As someone said, you have to make sure that icing is really dry first, but I didn't have a problem. I've used Wilton and also KopyKake. Sometimes I push really hard on them at an angle, on a piece of paper to kind of "break" them so that they're softer, but I'm not really recommending that - I've ruined them that way sometimes. I wish they were more like a thin paintbrush. I've even used my KopyKake ones to write notes on my daughter's sandwiches - all the kids think that's cool!

Frankyola Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

I've used 2 diff. brands before. They're not great but okay. Use light swift strokes and fill in rather than draw/write. I prefer to use vanilla extract w/food coloring/luster dust.

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

P.S. You can use vodka instead vanilla

jovigirl Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyola

Quote:
Originally Posted by krysoco

Ditto thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

P.S. You can use vodka instead vanilla

What kind of food coloring do you use paste, liquid or powder?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%