Norman Davis..............

Decorating By psurrette Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 3:36am by stephaniescakenj

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 18

Someone posted about a month ago that Norm Davis was very ill. I dont remember who. Do we know if he is doing better? I did see the new cake challange that he won. I have been looking for it since July because he told me at the ICES Convention that he won. I sure hope he is doing well

17 replies
Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 18

I've been wondering how he is doing too. Anybody heard anything?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 18

No I hadn't heard that. I hope he's o.k., I really like him he just seems like someone I'd like to be friends with. He's very sweet.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 18

I met him in Nashville a couple of years ago at a Charity Challenge. He is so nice. Sending Positive Thoughts his way!

Beth in KY

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #5 of 18

anyone else?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 18

I have not heard a recent update but when it originally happened it was said they expected a full recovery with physical therapy. Hope it is ogin well. I have met him and he is sush a sweet sweet man.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 18

I just love that guy~ just want to give him a big hug. icon_smile.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 12:55am
post #8 of 18

I had an opporutnity to take a class from him. He is very good teacher and patient. I learned a lot just by taking a one day class from him and Mr. Beg. Mr. Davis I hope you are feeling much better.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 18

Oh no. What was wrong with him? He is so cute and makes such beautiful cakes!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 18

An update was posted on the Baker's Bar the other day. He had a stroke but has since made a full recovery.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 18

I'm glad to hear that he's doing well. I'm another one who met him (this past August in 2008 at Cake Camp). What a sweetheart!! He and Zane were just so nice to me and my husband every time we ran into them while wondering around the hotel and running from class to class. I hope he's taking better care of himself.

While we're on the subject, I had heard that Geraldine Randlesome had been involved in a car accident a few months ago (Sept? Oct?). Is there any update on her? She's the owner of Geraldine's Creative Cutters in Toronto. Another extremely knowledgable, professional instructor who's been in the indusctry for years and is also very sweet.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #12 of 18

I had a class today with BKeith Ryder and I asked him how Norm was doing.

He told me that Norm is doing well with rehab--still tired and a bit of vertigo at times--and expects a full, speedy recovery.

Norm plans to attend and teach his classes at the cake show in Virginia in late March.

Rae

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 18

I'm glad to hear that he is doing better! Thanks for letting me know!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 18

Rae... Totally off subject but how was the cake show this past weekend. I desperately wanted to attend but couldn't make it. It sounded like a great event. Diana Lopez is part of my local cake club, she was teaching a class on Saturday I think. I had also asked her how Norm was doing last weekend and she said the same thing. Glad to hear he's making a recovery!

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #15 of 18

Hi, Stephanie.
The Art of the Cake Competition in Cleveland, OH this past weekend was WONDERFUL! There was a nice turnout--about 25 wedding cakes, at least 16 tasting cakes, & grooms cakes from beginner to pro.

I've done several competitions and this was by far the best venue I've ever been in. The Polaris Career Center is a new, state of the art center. The cakes were displayed on large round tables in a central lobby with wide aisles.

There were great raffles. The dinner before the awards ceremony was phenomenal. The prizes were super (I won Most Artistic and received a $100 cash prize and a an amazing basket of colors, veiners, cutters, a $100 gift certificate from Beth Parvu's company). Pic of my cake below.

Best of all, the classrooms were the best ever. My chocolate class was in a professional kitchen with fridge & freezer. My sugar class was in a chemistry lab!

The kids in the pastry program there opened their bakeshop at lunch and had slices of sacher torte for 95 cents! The also have a mini Subway onsite and so lunch was a breeze.

I can't wait for Becky & Anna to announce next year's theme! They said that they and the Polaris Center were very happy with the way things went, so they are planning to do the show there again in 2010.

Mega shows are a bit overwhelming. This show is growing, but still very "user friendly". Lots of time to talk & mingle--and share--and learn.

I know that the weather here can be "iffy" in Jan.--heck, I live here--but don't let it keep you from considering coming next year. It's usually manageable (we KNOW how to take care of the roads very well) and it changes quickly. We had snow this weekend, but just off and on and really, it was fine.

Rae
LL

cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Hi, Stephanie.
The Art of the Cake Competition in Cleveland, OH this past weekend was WONDERFUL! There was a nice turnout--about 25 wedding cakes, at least 16 tasting cakes, & grooms cakes from beginner to pro.

I've done several competitions and this was by far the best venue I've ever been in. The Polaris Career Center is a new, state of the art center. The cakes were displayed on large round tables in a central lobby with wide aisles.

There were great raffles. The dinner before the awards ceremony was phenomenal. The prizes were super (I won Most Artistic and received a $100 cash prize and a an amazing basket of colors, veiners, cutters, a $100 gift certificate from Beth Parvu's company). Pic of my cake below.

Best of all, the classrooms were the best ever. My chocolate class was in a professional kitchen with fridge & freezer. My sugar class was in a chemistry lab!

The kids in the pastry program there opened their bakeshop at lunch and had slices of sacher torte for 95 cents! The also have a mini Subway onsite and so lunch was a breeze.

I can't wait for Becky & Anna to announce next year's theme! They said that they and the Polaris Center were very happy with the way things went, so they are planning to do the show there again in 2010.

Mega shows are a bit overwhelming. This show is growing, but still very "user friendly". Lots of time to talk & mingle--and share--and learn.

I know that the weather here can be "iffy" in Jan.--heck, I live here--but don't let it keep you from considering coming next year. It's usually manageable (we KNOW how to take care of the roads very well) and it changes quickly. We had snow this weekend, but just off and on and really, it was fine.

Rae

was the theme black and white this year? i was thinking of going but had NO idea on what to do for the cake.... maybe i'll be inspired by the next theme... hopefully

BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #17 of 18

The theme was black & white in the sense that the cake had to include the colors black & white, but other colors were permitted. Most cakes were primarily black & white--some only black & white.

The cakes were judged twice. Once like a regular cake show by cake pros and once for most artistic by 2 people with master's degrees in fine art.

My cake tied for most artistic, so "technical" cake deco scores were used to break the tie.

Becky wouldn't even give me a hint about next year's theme, but I'll be sure to post when I find out.

Rae

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #18 of 18

wow! your cake was awesome! what a unique design! I really wanted to go too, it had a ton of great classes by I had three cakes this past weekend, the most important being my dad's birthday cake! so I decided not to go this year.. snow doesn't scare me. I'm from Jersey and was planning on driving out, I think I mapped it at 7hours but I've driven to Florida before so I was sure I could make it. I even designed a cake to submit because I've been dying to do a black and white cake so I was really bummed when events started piling up for last weekend... I'm hoping I can make it to next year's show.

Great Job on your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%