What's The Story With Red Velvet Cake???

Decorating By PatrysV Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm by snowynight

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:23am
post #1 of 18

icon_confused.gif
I just printed Cakeman Raven's Red Velvet cake recipe, and want to try it, BUT....
I never saw/ate (I think) a Red Velvet Cake!!! icon_redface.gif

MUST you add the red colouring and waht difference does a Ts of Cocoa Powder make to the taste? What makes this type of cake so special?
I have an order for a cake for a man, and was thinking of trying it out...but isn't it going to be pink?
Is it more a cake for a child?
Can you make it another colour as well?

Sorry, I know these are probably stupid questions - but I'm tickled pink! icon_lol.gif

17 replies
CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:57am
post #2 of 18

Red Velvet is a kind of chocolate cake invented in the US, and most popular in the Southern states. It got its name because when three of the key ingredients would mix (vinegar, buttermilk, and cocoa), it would cause a chemical reaction that turned the batter a deep red. However, when companies switched to Dutch processing, it affected the color of the cake, so food coloring started to be added to get the red color back. It's very hard to get Red Velvet to be another color.

It's a very dark cake, not pink at all. It's used for all occasions. it's traditionally frosted with a roux (cooked flour and fat) icing, but in recent years cream cheese icing has become more popular, mostly cause it's easier to make.

It's not a stupid question icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:08am
post #3 of 18

let me know if the recipe works for you, I have tried it but it was a complete disaster.

PatrysV Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:45am
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

It's a very dark cake, not pink at all. It's used for all occasions. it's traditionally frosted with a roux (cooked flour and fat) icing, but in recent years cream cheese icing has become more popular, mostly cause it's easier to make.

It's not a stupid question icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif Thanks! Can you ice it with buttercream as well? I want to cover it with buttercream and fondant.

Riana, what went wrong with your cake?! You're worrying me now - I don't have time to re-bake another cake if this one flops! icon_surprised.gif

Cakechick123 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 18

I dont know if its the altitude diff or if its different ingredients, but i havent had any sucess with US recipes. Thats why i would love some feedback icon_smile.gif

The cakes are normally as heavy as a brick and either sunken in the middle or not rising at all.

Where in SA are you?

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 18

I usually fill my red velvet cakes with cream cheese frosting then finish them with buttercream. Be aware that the cake is generally denser than others. I just looked at the Cake Man's recipe. The recipe I use has butter and turns out fabulous every time. Of course it is at work so I can't get it right at the moment.
It's very close to this one...
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6961-6-Old-fashion-red-velvet-cake-with-flour-and-milk-frosting.html

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 18

I recently did a red velvet cake for a man's retirement party. I think it's a great choice for a man, and in my experience most men really like it. I always use Martha Stewarts red velvet recipe and I use raspberry cream cheese filling and dark chocolate choco-pan fondant. Since the red velvet is essentially a chocolate cake the chocolate fondant goes well and I love a chocolate cake for a man, just looks masculine. Maybe that's why so many grooms cakes are chocolate! icon_smile.gif

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 18

I started to use Marthat Stewart's Red Velvet Cake recipe. I love the texture of the cake. I find it to be very moist. I noticed the taste really comes through the following day when wrapped in saran wrap and left at room temperature.

PatrysV Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

Where in SA are you?

I'm in Pretoria. I'll give it a try and let you know! I curious now!

PatrysV Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakery_chick

I just looked at the Cake Man's recipe. The recipe I use has butter and turns out fabulous every time. Of course it is at work so I can't get it right at the moment.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6961-6-Old-fashion-red-velvet-cake-with-flour-and-milk-frosting.html

thumbs_up.gif Thanks. Just a small question - is shortening "hard fat"?

Cakechick123 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrysV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakery_chick

I just looked at the Cake Man's recipe. The recipe I use has butter and turns out fabulous every time. Of course it is at work so I can't get it right at the moment.

thumbs_up.gif Thanks. Just a small question - is shortening "hard fat"?

Veg shortening is our "Wooden Spoon" brand.

BTW we're almost neighbours icon_smile.gif Im in Krugersdorp

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:20pm
post #12 of 18

Just popped on to say HI to riana and PatrysV! I have a friend from S. A. visiting this week! She just saw her first snowfall and was so excited! But, she's also COLD!! LOL

Good Luck on your Red Velvet Cake PatrysV! I'm sure it will turn out fine.

Beth in KY

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:25pm
post #13 of 18

I made the Cake Man Raven recipe last week and everyone loved it (except me, more on that later). It was super moist. We gave my brother-in-law a dozen cupcakes made from the same batch and he ate them in a few days time. (The batch makes 3 8-inch round cakes.)

The color was a very bright red (it uses an entire bottle of food coloring). I think the re food coloring is what adds to the flavor. I have very sensitive taste buds and am able to taste the food coloring, especially in that high of a quantity. My tongue swelled up in the area where the cake touched it (I only chew on one side due to needing a root canal on the other!), which I'm pretty sure was a reaction to the dye. That surprised me, however, because I eat other things with red dye, such as M&Ms and never seem to have a problem. Hmm.

Anyway, as I said, it was a good cake. I even made a big mistake and put in baking powder instead of baking soda (exhaustion). Luckily my husband was able to figure out a conversion, we added an amount of the baking soda and the cake turned out fine (well, it just didn't rise quite as much as it could have, but considering I made that mistake, I think it was a success.)

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 18

CeeTee, Do you think if I used a non-Dutched cocoa that the red color will happen? I would love to be able to make this cake without the dye, because other than the dye, it was a good cake. Penzeys sells a natural high fat cocoa powder that is not Dutched.

Thanks for the info!!

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #15 of 18

If you have a problem with food dye, you can purchase natural food dye at http://www.naturesflavors.com

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 18

Thanks for the link izzybee. I just forwarded it on to a few friends that have kids with food dye allergies.

Have you ever used these before? Will they impart a flavor, such as the one made from tumeric? Can they be used to color fondant?

Thanks so much!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #17 of 18

I have successfully made RV cake other colors than red. My friends wanted RV cake for their wedding cake, but they wanted the cake itself to be their wedding colors: burgundy, forest green, and midnight blue. It turned out tasting just like regular RV cake and the colors turned out perfect. I have not tried using colors that were not dark, but I imagine that with using a full ounce bottle of gel paste color, most any color would work, just remember the color will be bright and intense, not pastel.

I usually use the Wilton's no taste red in RV cake because I want the flavor of the cake to come through, not the food coloring (and we all know that a large amount of red has a very distinctive flavor).

If you want to use a BC with RV cake, I recommend white chocolate BC.

My RV cake recipe is posted in the recipes section (look for Promise's Red Velvet Cake). It makes a three-layer 9" cake. This is the recipe I used for my friends' wedding cake and doubles well.

snowynight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowynight Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 18

Don't know if it's true but I was told that the original red velvet recipe got it's red color from pureed sugar beets. Sugar back then was hard to come by so they used the beets for sweetness and it added the color as well.
So much for the history lesson huh!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%