Bay Area, California

Decorating By Andrea_Mamie Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 5:26am by Elizabethmb1

Andrea_Mamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea_Mamie Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #1 of 7

I just recently moved to the area and am interested in getting into cake decorating..

A little background... My name is Andrea and Im 24 years old. Ive been lurking on this site for a little while now and Im getting more and more excited and anxious to get started in this craft. I moved here with my boyfriend with the intention, and dream of training with my boyfriend's cousin who is a 'decorator'.

He supposedly owned his own bakery and was a master decorator. Well I got out here, and find out that he just does it on the side and his cakes are CRAP. and when I say this, I mean he makes a grocery store cake look like a Sylvia masterpiece. Whipped cream, SPRINKLES, grocery store colored gel, etc. are some of the hienous things he has tried to pass off on these 'professional' cakes. I was so horrified and dissapointed that I cried after he made his first one after I arrived.

I mean really, I got rid of all my worldly possesions in the hopes on coming to help out and learn under him at his bakery. He has no tools, no professional set up, and the tackiest 'arttistic' eye I have ever seen in my life. icon_cry.gif

Its been really heartbreaking. I mean, I realize its alot my fault, I should have checked it all out more, but I heard from ALOT of his family members how great he was. While I dont regret moving, as I know I will love it out here, I just would have had a different plan to it all as its been really difficult getting set up.

Now, after this rant/sob story, I will get to the real intention of my post.

Im most likely going to be taking the Wilton classes just to get started and maybe meet people who have a similar intrest...
-Any teachers or students that took the classes in the San Leandro/Hayward area? How was your experience?
Would it be more worth my time and money to drive into Berkley or San Francisco to get a better experience?

Are there any bakers (pro or hobby) in the area that are interested in getting together? Im trying to be as patient as I can, and just want to get as much experience and know how before I dive in. As much exposure into this craft I can get, the better. No matter what kind.

I have not made any friends yet and would really like to meet and network with people with the same passion that I have.

Any advice or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. The ladies on this site are so supportive of each other and really know how to get a person excited about cakes. You guys rock!

I just want my piece of the pie, er, cake and would prefer it beautifully decorated!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:55am
post #2 of 7

Andrea~ Im from that very area, although I live in Boise, Idaho now. If I were you I would check out Meetup and Meetin, they are both .com and the bay area is a big enough area you may meet some people with the same interests as you. I think there's a Michael's in Danville, and a Hobbie Lobby in San Leandro (at least there was a few years ago!) they'll have Wilton classes.
Good luck!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:13am
post #3 of 7

Hello Andrea, I'm in the east bay, a little further out than you. I took all the wilton courses out here and that would probably be a great start. San Fransisco has a great culinary school. But it is pretty expensive. You could check to see if any of the community colleges have any classes. I work full time so I haven't had time do that. I know there are a couple of cake clubs around your area, there is a listing a listing of clubs on cc. I know I've seen it, maybe under the links, but maybe someone who's been on a little longer could tell for sure. Welcome to the bay area, I'm sure you'll come to love the area........Tonia

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:15am
post #4 of 7

Welcome to CC and to the Bay Area! I live about 60 miles west of you, near Modesto. I too am a transplant. We moved here from Oregon last year and I didn't know a soul either.
What I would recommend in your situation is take the Wilton classes first and then go from there. Unfortunately, CA is one of the worst, if not the worst state when it comes to laws regarding the sale of food, including decorated cakes, so it's really tough to get a legal business started here. I would start slowly, find out what you like and don't like about cake decorating and go from there.
Again, welcome!

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:15am
post #5 of 7

Welcome to the Golden State. I'm a little too far away to get together, but I still thought I'd say hi. I'm sure there's a Michael's in the area. If I have one in my small town I'm sure there's one in the bay area. I'd start there. I haven't been able to take the Wilton classes yet but I've learned a lot from reading things online, books, and especially this website. It would probably be a good place to start before you commit to more expensive classes, especially since pastry classes in San Francisco are probably going to be really expensive. You can learn a lot without classes.

Andrea_Mamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea_Mamie Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:33am
post #6 of 7

Yeah, Im defenitly not ready to get my own business started yet.

I would prefer, after taking a couple classes, to get an internship, or job at a bakery to learn more and see how things are run before I start on my own.

Im really just lookin for any way(s) to get into it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Im defenitly gonna check em out!!

(keep em coming!) lol thumbs_up.gif

Elizabethmb1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabethmb1 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #7 of 7

Check out Spun Sugar in Berkeley (www.spunsugar.com) and some classes in the Walnut Creek Park and Rec.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%