I May Be Crazy...

Decorating By sweetkisscakes Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 4:24am by sweetkisscakes

sweetkisscakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 16

I promised my best friend I would make her a channel purse cake for her birthday with mac make up pouring out of it. Seems somewhat simple enough.

Here's the crazy part...
1. It's my first purse cake
2. she wants red velvet with cream cheese frosting
3. (not too sweet)!!!
and for the big one.....

we are going on vacation to nc ( we live in ny) for her birthday and she wants to eat it there. that's a 12 to 13 hour car ride.

Any advice on how to make it and/or transport it would be greatly appreciated!!

15 replies
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #2 of 16

Okay, my honest advice is she is gonna have to choose. If she wants a purse cake, then the RV w/ Cream Cheese frosting is out. I personally just don't do carving with certain cake/frostings. The other thing is the transportation. You really don't want to have to transport that cake if it is coated with a frosting that will need to be kept cool.

sweetkisscakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 16

good point. I saw at a local cake supplies store they had a cream cheese sleeve filling i was wondering if i could use that as a filling and maybe frost it with a butter creme. then cover it in the fondant to get the purse effect. would that work?

tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #4 of 16

I decorated a cake with cream cheese frosting and found it very difficult to work with. It was sticky and hard to smooth. I've seen some recipes for cream cheese buttercream. They might work better. Anyone out there used such a recipe? Maybe you could use the cream cheese frosting as a filling and do the decorating with buttercream or fondant. There is another thread on here about building a cooler to transport cakes. If you cover with fondant and transport in such a contraption it would probably work.

fosterscreations Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #5 of 16

If I am not mistaken you can add 1 cup of the cream cheese filling to 6 cups of buttercream. To increase the flavor a bit add some of the lorann cheesecake candy flavoring oil.

And to make the red velvet cake more sturdy sub 1 cup of sourcream for 1 cup of the water per mix.

grannys3angels Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 16

Sharon (AKA: Sugarshack) has on her blog http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/ a recipe for a crusting cream cheese icing, by Kathy Finholt.

Just scroll down to the posting "A Few Of My Favorite Things" (Icing Recipes) and you will it...along with a lot of other recipes. Sharon's blog is GREAT!

God Bless,

prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #7 of 16

I don't use a filling (other than just basic bc) for carved cakes, but that is just my personal preference.

I have recently started using white chocolate bc with RV cake. It's actually a good combo. Maybe you could do that instead?

Or instead of doing a cake, since you're travelling, you could do RV cupcakes with cream cheese icing and little fondant decos of the makeup and mini handbags on top of the cupcakes. I would think cupcakes would be easier to put into a cooler with ice packs for the long trip.

sayhellojana Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:50am
post #8 of 16

every and all cream cheese icings are a pain in the rear. Go ahead and try it, but have a backup plan icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:56am
post #9 of 16

I think it can be done with red velvet cake and cream cheese icing. either with fondant or without... using a crusting cream cheese icing

Sam's sells buckets of shelf stable cream cheese icing that would definitely survive the trip. If you plan to make your own and you have concerns, place the boxed cake inside a cooler with some ice packs.

matthewkyrankelly Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #10 of 16

I'm new to this. However, I regularly make birthday cakes for 50-100 people. Don't ask how big the family is. Cake of choice is 1/2 sheet double layer. Have made nine layer, three-tiered mad hatter cake all using a cream cheese buttercream. It works and is easy to work with. Two sticks of butter, 8oz cream cheese, 2lbs powdered sugar, 2 tsp vanilla and 1/8 of almond if you like birthday cake frosting. Beat the hell out of it. Color as necessary. Frost away. One batch will make handy work of a 9inch layer cake.

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:36am
post #11 of 16

What's a channel purse?

sayhellojana Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 16

Channel is a brand. (pronounced sha-nell) Swanky stuff, real expensive.

JanH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:12am
post #13 of 16

Believe the brand name you're referring to is Chanel, as in Coco (Gabrielle) Chanel (19 August 1883 10 January 1971).

More on Coco:

Here's the logo given to her by Chateau de Cremat in Nice:
(Back to back, overlapping C's.)

My older sister used to be partial to Chanel No. 5 perfume...

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:11am
post #14 of 16

Ahh Thanks Jan! Of course, it's Chanel! :smacks forehead!:
I was imagining some sort of trapunto-channel-quilted bag...I must be getting old.

JanH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:20am
post #15 of 16

Not a problem, SugarFrosted. icon_smile.gif

(I wasn't familiar with Mac cosmetics.) icon_lol.gif

sweetkisscakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #16 of 16

Thanks for all the great advice! I think i will try one of the crusting cream cheese frosting's. As long as it isn't going to spoil and make anyone sick it seems like that would be ok. I guess what my biggest concern is is transporting it through the long drive. Since it is for my best friend and she is riding with me if something happened to it it wouldn't really be a big deal. It's kind of a good opportunity to test out my cake transport skills.

In the past i have just set cakes in the trunk of my sable on non slip shelf liners and drove carefully. Any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%