Not Many Wedding Cake Photos...

Business By kellertur Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 4:24am by CakeForte

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 7

I don't have many wedding cake photos as I've done minimal weddings thus far. That said, I don't have many (wedding pics) posted on my website (except 2 that I like). Is this hurting me for attracting wedding clients? I was thinking of listing on wedding websites, but is that unwise if I have few wedding cake photos? Is this another cake conundrum?? icon_confused.gif

I'd be most grateful if anyone has any advise/suggestions.

thank you.

6 replies
Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

It could possibly be hurting business. Why not make some "dummy" cakes and take nice photos? I think that will definately make your portfolio look nice. Good Luck. icon_biggrin.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 7

I'd make up some dummy cakes that are representative of your best work and take photos of them. There was a recent thread here with a lot of ideas about how to get the most mileage out of dummies for photos. Hope this link works.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=614037&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dummies&&start=0

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 7

Hi!!! I don't know that it would necesarily hurt your business but I think it would be easy to beef up your portfolio with some dummies. No one knows the difference between the two... Make a white tiered fondant dummy, put a matching ribbon and flowers on it... snap a pic... take the ribbon and flowers off, pipe some decorations.. add different flowers or whatever, take another pic. You could even decorate one side with say painted scrollwork or whatever and pipe the other side. Once you're done, you can peel off the fondant and start over with another color. You could even take that same white covered cake, remove a tier maybe and add a bear on top or fondant baby with pastel ribbons and there's a baby shower or 1st birthday cake to add to the portfolio. I'm actually going to be working on this same thing over the next month or so because I too need to add some more pics to my portfolio.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 7

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Stephanie that's a great idea~ that way I don't feel like I'm wasting fondant. I updated my site if you still have the link I sent you... do you think I could/should list on wedding sites?

redhotmomof3~ I LOVE that ganache cake on your website (wedding photos). Is it difficult to acheive that dripping effect? I've been wanting to try that...

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks! Its really not very hard...............just make sure the ganache is not too runny or it will not stop.........and if it is too stiff it will not run at all..........once you have your ganache made, it has to cool down somewhat.......... play around with it to get the feel of what feels right. I do the drizzle all around the cake first, and then I add to the center and smooth it all together. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #7 of 7

When I started doing weddings, I made a two dummies in different styles. I also used craigslist to drum up "fast" wedding business. Basically I offered really low rates until I got 5 events. I knew I could do the cake, so it also help me get 5 referrals.

I also collected photos in style that I knew I could duplicate and said I can create something like this for you. I put the cake artist on the photo so they knew it wasn't my cake.

To close the sale, I offered full tasting days where clients could come in, taste almost all of my flavors and sit and chit chat with me and eat cake and drink coffee. I put a lot of effort into the tasting days, but it worked and i booked about 15 weddings the first year.

Now they see portfolio online and book an appointment w/ me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%