Can I Use A 8X3 In Pan To Make A 8X2In Cake?

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm by Ayanami

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 7

I do NOT want to buy new pans for one cake. I need to add one layer to a cake and only have 3" pans. Do I have to "fill" the pan for the cake to cook right? Can I put 2 cups of batter in the pan and have it cook. I would try but do not have the time or resources to waste on trying.
I know you cannot over fill a pan because once the plain is broken the cake will not bake (did that already LOL).
If you have any other suggestion for someone who making their first Topsy turvy cake I would be grateful. I know about carving out the hole for the next layer.
Thanks
Merry

6 replies
doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 7

It should be fine. Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

I know you cannot over fill a pan because once the plain is broken the cake will not bake

Sorry, I'm brain dead today .... what does this mean? icon_confused.gif

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry1227

I know you cannot over fill a pan because once the plain is broken the cake will not bake

Sorry, I'm brain dead today .... what does this mean? icon_confused.gif

I put more batter into the pan than was called for so I could slice the top. But the batter spilled over the top of the pan, and once that happens the cake will not cook, don't know why, but it doesn't.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 7

sure you can...the cake will just be flatter than normal since you are using less batter or you can use the normal amount of batter and torte the cake ....and have left over cake scraps (my husband would opt for that one....always in the kitchen wanting "scraps" HA

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

I would put 3 cups of batter, since that is what the 2in pan calls for, but it should bake up just fine in the taller pan.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

It will be fine with less batter in the pan, just keep a good eye on it while it bakes. It can over bake easily like this (learned frist hand icon_sad.gif )

On the other hand, I have had more than one cake spill over while baking & everything still turned out fine. I use box mixes though, so maybe that has something to do with it. Shrug.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%