Help! Have Any Of You Made A Gumpaste Wine Bottle?

Decorating By toodlesjupiter Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm by toodlesjupiter

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 12

I'm in the process of making a gumpaste wine bottle, and my first one stuck. I have the second one drying and I added even more cornstarch than I did on the first one. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it off of the wine bottle once it's dry? I have it covering a little over half of the bottle, and most of the neck, if that makes a difference. Also, I'm making it with white gumpaste and planned to paint it once dry, will that cause problems? I was afraid to tint the gumpaste beforehand because the last few times I have used this gumpaste it has had problems drying (even after adding tylose), and I was afraid the added moisture from the color would keep it from drying completely. Will painting it, soften it up too much or do you think it will be ok? Sorry for so many questions, this is my first time trying something like this and I really want it to be nice. It's for a good friend of ours who is a wine connoisseur. Thanks in advance!

11 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 12

if u do a search under my name for gumpaste wine bottle i have a short pic how to on how i did mine.

toodlesjupiter Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 12

Thank you Sharon! If I paint mine instead of tinting the gumpaste, do you think it will make it soften up again. I've been having a terrible time with this gumpaste lately, so I'm afraid it won't dry completely as it is. I'm thinking of making a second one in fondant if I have enough, to see which dries better. Also, when you make the disc for the bottom, do you let it dry before you attach it, and what is the easiest way to attach it? Thanks again!

sugarshack Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 12

I think i mentioned in that post that the satin ice GP never dried. Diff brands will act diff. Thats why i make the nic lodge recipe; it always dries but it took a week to make that bottle dark green. I think if it is totally dry and firm, you can paint it. Do not drench the bottle though, or it will soften. Airbrushing is best because you get less liquid on the GP that way.

Um, the dsic, I think i cut it with a cookie cutter and let it dry, ( I think) and attached with water.

HTH!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 12

Do you use the bottle molds from www.decoratethecake.com?

toodlesjupiter Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 12

I'm using the actual wine bottle to mold it around. My cake store has a wine bottle mold, but it is slightly smaller, and shaped slightly differently than the one I'm trying to replicate, so I'm hoping this works out. I'll let you know tomorrow.

toodlesjupiter Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 12

Just wanted to say thanks for your help Sharon! I finished this on Saturday, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. the gumpaste never did dry completely so I made a log of rice crispy treats to keep it from collapsing. Here's a link if you'd like to see it. Thanks again!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307343

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 12

Toodles, I just looked at your wine bottle cake -- AWESOME WORK!!! Very nice!! icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #9 of 12

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WOW WOW

how did u get your shine on the bottle?

It looks real!!

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 12

Wow! Thanks you guys! To get the shine, I just painted the gumpaste. I didn't tint the gumpaste before i made the bottle, I painted the color on, and it gave it a nice shine. Thank you sooo much for the vote of confidence, it really means a lot!

dawnnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnnb Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 12

I have to agree your cake and bottle are amazing!

toodlesjupiter Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 12

Oh, thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%