To Wedding Cake Or To Not Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm by Kay_NL

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 15

I've had 4 requests for wedding cakes in the past week, I guess people are ironing out details of their summer/fall weddings now.

I haven't made, decorated, or sold any wedding cakes. I'm not questioning my abilities, I just don't want to spend that much time on a cake and I so enjoy just making the kinds of cakes that I do!

I'm debating whether I should or shouldn't... One deterring factor for me is that once I say yes, then I can no longer tell people I don't make wedding cakes. I normally take the summer off from cake decorating as it doesn't pay my bills, it's just a bit of extra cash doing something i love!

Thoughts???

14 replies
Kay_NL Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 15

I should add that a couple of these requests wanted to supply me with the cakes, and one person even has all the Wilton fondant bought! Yuck!

I am really considering taking a couple of the orders, but don't want to destroy a cake that I didn't bake... lol

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 15

I would never, ever decorate a cake I didn't bake.

I would never, ever use Wilton fondant on anything (except a dummy cake).

If you want to take the summer off, then do it. Simply say that you are unavailable to make the cake.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 15

"I would never, ever use Wilton fondant on anything (except a dummy cake)."

What fondant do you use? icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 15

Normally Satin Ice, but I have also used Pettinice on occasion.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 15

I see no reason why if you choose to do one or 2 wedding cakes you should have to accept more orders. If you are doing this as a paid hobby, you can always respond to requests you don't want to fill that you don't have the time to devote to their cake but realize that you risk them finding a new baker for future orders (according to my Wilton Instructor). I also would insist on doing ALL of the cake myself, you don't want your name attached to something that you don't have full quality control over. What if they baked a cake that didn't hold up well to your decorations and it fell?

Kay_NL Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 15

I would NEVER use Wilton fondant either, I make all my own and would hate for my name to be attached to something that tastes awful...

So far I haven't had any summer requests, just late spring and early fall... I just don't want to be in the position to have hordes of cake requests!

I also have no idea what to charge, I think $300 is the minimum price I could possibly charge for a 3 tier cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 15

Actually one takes on a whole realm of problems decorating another persons cake. *You* could end up loosing everything you won and then some if someone should get sick icon_sad.gif Under NO circumstances should you take that one on!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 15

I have had several emails asking if I do weddings.I think it is a personal choice.I choose not to do them for these reasons...

1.I don't want to be responsible for someone's wedding day to be ruined just in case there was a mishap with the cake..eg...tipping over,falling etc..I always have these concerns even though my cakes are properly constructed.

2.I don't really enjoy decorating wedding cakes as much as the novelty cakes.

3. Most wedding cakes require delivery in which I cannot do with 2 small kids and a spouse who works weekends.I just don't want the stress!!

that being said...if you want to do wedding cakes...maybe try one and if you don't like it...don't take on anymore.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 15

I am like you - I decorate cakes as a hobby. I would never decorate a cake that I did not bake because it is your reputation on that cake - taste and decoration since most people cannot separate the two.

I travel a lot for business, so there are times that I will just simply say that I am not available to do cakes. Since I do it as a hobby, it enables me the opportunity to pick and choose who I do cakes for.

I detest Wilton's fondant. I use Satin Ice or Pettinice. I have not tried making my own, but one day hope to try the MMF.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 15

You should never decorate a cake you havent baked, never ever.

I agree with cakesbyCathy 100%, take the summer off if you want too. Wilton fondant...I use it on styrofoam only.
[/b]

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I would never, ever decorate a cake I didn't bake.

I would never, ever use Wilton fondant on anything (except a dummy cake).

I second, third and fourth that! I am in the midlle of covering 5 huge dummy tiers with that Wilton crap now...the smell is enough to make ya vomit!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #13 of 15

Now that I am no longer working at the bakery, I only do wedding cakes for family and close friends.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

2.I don't really enjoy decorating wedding cakes as much as the novelty cakes.

Too bad you're in Canada. You and I could team up because I'd rather do wedding cakes than novelty cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

Kay_NL Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks!

I've sent out 2 quotes and replied to the others that I am not available. icon_smile.gif I am doing one cake where she is providing the cakes but I am friends with her Mom (who is baking the cakes and works in a commercial bakery) and not overly concerned with the quality of the cakes.

It will be good practice to see if I like it and if I don't, well it's only 2 cakes and I don't have to do any more!

I love making my novelty cakes, I think I just love pleasing children. Children are not that picky and don't see faults, so knowing that I've made them the cake of their dreams makes me happy! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

Katherine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%