Food Network Cake Challenges

Decorating By DancingCakes2008 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm by Jazz2U

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #61 of 151

I don't think that there's any reason for you to feel like you need to defend your cakes buddy! There great! An I love that you seem like you're just an average guy.. most of us would kill to be in your position. icon_smile.gif

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:46pm
post #62 of 151

Wow! Buddy! Hi icon_redface.gif I LOVE your cakes, your flowers, looks like you can make them with your eyes closed! For what I have seen in the challenges, and I wish they would show more, you make them super fast and look perfect. I wish I could take one of your classes, I would be in heaven! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for answering all questions about the "inside" of a challenge show. I always tought they served the cakes to the audience afterwards. What about the cakes they make for a special "client", the judges taste a sample of the cakes, is the sample the same as the cake ? Do they take the winning cake to the party or they make another one like that but with "good" cake and fillings? It is an honor to have you here. It shows you are a human being just like the rest of us, so down to earth, to take time of you busy schedule and family to share with us. Thank you.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #63 of 151

I have read the comments about Kerry Vincent and I just have to add my own. I have been decorating for years, but only as a hobby. I sent Kerry an Email inquiring about a specific design on one of her cakes. I had been looking for a piece of jewelry to make a similar mold, but couldn't find one.
Kerry answered my Email to say she had made the mold from a piece of antique jewelry she personally owned. To my amazement and surprise, a few days later, I received a package from Kerry with a mold she made for me. I could hardly believe that someone so well known and busy would take the time to send me such a special gift.

She may be the person you "love to hate" on TV, but I know there is a heart of gold under that gruff exterior.
Joanne Lima

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:13pm
post #64 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1944

She may be the person you "love to hate" on TV, but I know there is a heart of gold under that gruff exterior.
Joanne Lima

She simply has high expactations, and rightfully so! As I said before about being like Simon Cowell, if the contestants are going to be on TV and compete for $10,000 (which apparantly barely covers anything - thanks for the insight, Buddy), then the cake decorators damned-well be as perfect as Kerry expects.

I'm sure it's for TV, too. But I wish her true kindness would show on-screen more often as my hubby is beginning to sound like a broken record, "I want to see HER on a challenge!" (If you know of one I can Google to show him, send the info my way!)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #65 of 151

I'd like to see a challenge that has 2 hours of TV time, not just one including commercials.
Maybe we could actually get to see some of the decorating closer. Rather than watching them put fondant on the cakes, perhaps we could see them putting together an entire fondant figure, or pipe a section of border.
Of course if I were there, I'd probably step on the cameraman's toe!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #66 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne1944

To my amazement and surprise, a few days later, I received a package from Kerry with a mold she made for me. I could hardly believe that someone so well known and busy would take the time to send me such a special gift.

Wow! That is generous beyond belief!

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #67 of 151

I have to admit, I don't understand the burned cake thing. I understand that it makes it easier to do the sculpted cakes, but isn't the point suposed to be that these are edible? You wouldn't serve burned cake to one of your customers. If it is not really edible cake, the rule about the % of cake used in the challenge seems irrellevant to me. Maybe I am nieve but I thought that the challenge of making all those amazing, gravity defying cakes was that they were actually edible. My bubble was just burst.

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:08pm
post #68 of 151

Buddy! You're one of my favorites to watch...go big or go home, eh??

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:13pm
post #69 of 151

I actually like that Kerry seems a bit tough on them at times. I think you learn more and improve by getting honest and to the point comments. Just my opinion.

And to Buddy- I love that you took the time to comment here, it really shed some light on what it must be like. I would not waste one second defending your work. It is amazing....I hope to be able to make something as wonderful someday. Most the time when people are so negative and critical it comes from a place of jealousy icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #70 of 151

I am particpating in live challenge at the Arizona show in a couple of weeks myself....so excited! Now, this is not going to be on the level of Food Network challenges, but I've never done something like this ever and couldn't be more excited! I haven't even had a face to face conversation with another caker before! This is going to be like Christmas for me! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

yvette131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvette131 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #71 of 151

Heh, Buddy!! I was in that class and not only were you super friendly but so was your staff. And you love what you do, i could tell. You and mauro were giving us so many tips and techniques and were so patient with us. The class ran from 12:30- 6pm! You wanted us there and we were all having fun. It was the best class i've ever taken and the rest of the girls from the group all say the same too. Can't wait tell the next class you teach i will definitely go again. Your bakery had the sweetest group of people working there and they love what they do too, and thats what it's all about. icon_biggrin.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:48pm
post #72 of 151

Remember that thread where someone wrote...Everything you write on here can be seen by everyone...

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #73 of 151

Buddy...love seeing you post, its such an honor...

I am a "Fan"of yours, as well as Kerry's...

You are a true artist in every sense of cake decorating...keep on keeping on!!!

I wish you all the best in every challenge you ever enter and admire your work, patience and example you set before us all..I only hope to become just a fraction of the cake decorator you are someday...

Happy Baking, Mary

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #74 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I have to admit, I don't understand the burned cake thing. I understand that it makes it easier to do the sculpted cakes, but isn't the point suposed to be that these are edible? You wouldn't serve burned cake to one of your customers. If it is not really edible cake, the rule about the % of cake used in the challenge seems irrellevant to me. Maybe I am nieve but I thought that the challenge of making all those amazing, gravity defying cakes was that they were actually edible. My bubble was just burst.

I'm sure that they only do that for ease of the challenge. To make a cake dense for intricate carving, I just add melted chocolate - it makes the cake more dense while retaining moisture and adding flavor. I wouldn't want to waste a lot of chocolate on a cake that I knew would be thrown away icon_wink.gif

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #75 of 151

Buddy,

Your wedding cakes are fabulous. I have seen you on "Whose Wedding is it Anyway" . The episode where the bride had her heart set on one of your cakes but really could'nt afford it. Knew you where a "sweetheart"!

What is the criteria to get on "Whose Wedding" ?

frosting111 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:33pm
post #76 of 151

I'm sure that they only do that for ease of the challenge. To make a cake dense for intricate carving, I just add melted chocolate - it makes the cake more dense while retaining moisture and adding flavor. I wouldn't want to waste a lot of chocolate on a cake that I knew would be thrown away icon_wink.gif[/quote]

Macsmom...You got my attention: How do you go about adding the melted chocolate to your mix, how much per mix, and the steps you use to add it...

Does it give the consistency of adding pudding to the mix for denseness, or is it a different kind of density?

yvette131 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:35pm
post #77 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

Wow! Buddy! Hi icon_redface.gif I LOVE your cakes, your flowers, looks like you can make them with your eyes closed! For what I have seen in the challenges, and I wish they would show more, you make them super fast and look perfect. I wish I could take one of your classes, I would be in heaven! icon_biggrin.gif Thank you for answering all questions about the "inside" of a challenge show. I always tought they served the cakes to the audience afterwards. What about the cakes they make for a special "client", the judges taste a sample of the cakes, is the sample the same as the cake ? Do they take the winning cake to the party or they make another one like that but with "good" cake and fillings? It is an honor to have you here. It shows you are a human being just like the rest of us, so down to earth, to take time of you busy schedule and family to share with us. Thank you.

And yes he is so talented he CAN do them with his eyes closed even the buttercream roses, Mauro his assissant showed us how he does them and he did like 10 in 3 seconds, very talented staff!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:36pm
post #78 of 151

My only comment is I would like them to do an ALL buttercream challenge. Let's see what people can do without the lovely fondanticon_smile.gif

I would love to see everyone's work Buddy's, Bronwens...all of them.

And Buddy I love your cakes and your personality. Like with Kerry everyone interprets what they see on the show differently.

I like high expectations and you and Kerry both have that!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:37pm
post #79 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

Remember that thread where someone wrote...Everything you write on here can be seen by everyone...

While this is certainly true, I don't see anything wrong in admitting you don't like a particular cake showcased on one of these shows. As long as you are not nasty about it, of course. As for comments about a person....that's a hard one. The aim of the TV show is to get a reaction. It might not be an accurate portrayal (I know how the media can twist things) and again, as long as you aren't nasty about it, I don't think you should be forbidden from giving your opinion. Being a "celebrity" has definite negatives! I applaud (and secretly envy) all the decorators who participate in these challenges.

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:52pm
post #80 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

Does it give the consistency of adding pudding to the mix for denseness, or is it a different kind of density?

Pudding makes it too moist for carving. I add 8 oz melted chocolate per a double batch recipe: Melt in microwave, stir to cool faster, pour into batter and beat til blended.

I've found that it works well to let cake batter rest in the fridge for at least an hour and then stir well with a spatula before pouring into the pans. The resting seems to help prevent air-bubbles (the cake has finer, more dense crumb) and it seems to help prevent doming, and baking cold batter (as well as using Bake-Even Strips) seems to produce a more moist cake. This has all been experimental (or accidental icon_confused.gif ) so I don't know if there is truth to the science behind it, but it has worked for me!

frosting111 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #81 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosting111

Pudding makes it too moist for carving. I add 8 oz melted chocolate per a double batch recipe: Melt in microwave, stir to cool faster, pour into batter and beat til blended.

I've found that it works well to let cake batter rest in the fridge for at least an hour and then stir well with a spatula before pouring into the pans. The resting seems to help prevent air-bubbles (the cake has finer, more dense crumb) and it seems to help prevent doming, and baking cold batter (as well as using Bake-Even Strips) seems to produce a more moist cake. This has all been experimental (or accidental icon_confused.gif ) so I don't know if there is truth to the science behind it, but it has worked for me!

Thanks for the info Macsmom, I'll sure take it into consideration next time a carved cake comes my way...I sure wish I had known about using the melted chocolate in the mix, and knowing to allow the mix to settle and cool in the fridge first when I did my Elmo cake...it wasn't so bad carving beings I used the pan directions and mixed in a pound cake mix with my cake mix..but I noticed when carving it that it had some tiny air pockets, and when cutting it at the party it had a major air pocket in the neck, that could have been disastrous if I had not supported it with dowels so well...

Again Thanks..Don't ya just love the learning experience and all the exchange of info here on CC icon_biggrin.gif

tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #82 of 151
Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure that they only do that for ease of the challenge. To make a cake dense for intricate carving, I just add melted chocolate - it makes the cake more dense while retaining moisture and adding flavor. I wouldn't want to waste a lot of chocolate on a cake that I knew would be thrown away icon_wink.gif

I see what you are saying. I just wonder if they could make the same cake in their bakery with edible cake. Burned cakes vs. edible cakes are obviously two different animals.

MacsMom Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #83 of 151
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see what you are saying. I just wonder if they could make the same cake in their bakery with edible cake. Burned cakes vs. edible cakes are obviously two different animals.

I'm sure they wouldn't turn down an order for one, and certain that they wouldn't sell a gross-tasting cake. If they don't already use a dense-cake recipe, they'd figure it out. icon_wink.gif

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #84 of 151

Date:   March 21, 2009

Name:  Live Cake Challenge!

Time:   11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Venue: Lake Braddock Secondary School
    9200 Burke Lake Road
    Burke, VA 22015

Tickets:    $25.00 each

The National Capital Area Cake Show will host a Live Cake Challenge as seen on TV! This years celebrity challengers are all Food Network Challenge All - Stars! Scheduled to compete: Buddy Valastro, Jason Ellis, Anne Heap, and Courtney Clark. The celebrity judges, all gold medal winners, are: Colette Peters, Norman R. Davis and Michelle Bommarito. Warren Brown will emcee this lively event!

The challengers will have six hours to create an over the top fabulous cake with the theme Fairy Dreams and Castles. They will compete for a cash prize and bragging rights! After the challenge, all of the cakes will be displayed and the challengers and judges will be available for pictures and autographs. The cakes will be cut and sold by the slice to raise money for our charity partners at our bake sale on Sunday.

The National Capital Area Cake Show, is a not for profit, all volunteer organization. This year the show will benefit Shelter House Inc and Kristies Christmas. Shelter House operates all of the family homeless shelters in Fairfax County, Virginia. (www.shelterhouse.org ). A donation will also be made to Kristies Christmas, a local charity that benefits underprivileged youth.

sugarflour2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflour2 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #85 of 151

I have firsthand experience in seeing, and tasting the cakes that are created at Buddy's bakery. I've seen cakes range from one tier to six tiers, to carved. I can honestly tell you that not one of those cakes ever went out of that bakery burned and in any other condition but perfect in every aspect, including taste.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:01pm
post #86 of 151

Hi Buddy,

I too love your work, and was shocked when you didn't win the Christmas challenge. Was there any one particular challenge you thought for SURE you were going to win and then didn't?

tastyart Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #87 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarflour2

I have firsthand experience in seeing, and tasting the cakes that are created at Buddy's bakery. I've seen cakes range from one tier to six tiers, to carved. I can honestly tell you that not one of those cakes ever went out of that bakery burned and in any other condition but perfect in every aspect, including taste.

I didn't say that any of the challange bakers(Buddy or anyone else)sold burned cakes from their bakery. In fact I said they wouldn't. My point is just that all of us cake decorators could make more wild and daring designs if we used the same kind of overcooked cake they use on the challenges. Every art form has its own limitations. Cake decorating is no different. Our limit is often the fragile nature of cake itself. IMO It would be a better challenge if the participants had to use edible, yummy cake like they use in their bakeries. However, this is a comment on Food Networks organization of the challange and rules. Not a knock on any of the participants. They are simply using the current rules to their advantage.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #88 of 151

I was also at Buddy's class on Sunday and it was a ton of fun. they're a bunch of "jersey guys" and are absolutely hysterical. I would bet that buddy and mauro could win a buttercream challenge in a heart beat... i'm not exagerating when I say they can ice a cake in a matter of minutes, and perfectly smooth too. It's amazing, it's almost like watching a video of something sped up but it's real time.

yvette131 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:49pm
post #89 of 151

Lol- weren't we so amazed at how fast they iced that cake and how smooth it came out! Absolutely amazing, very talented. thumbs_up.gif

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #90 of 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Personally, I want to see sugarshack, indydebi, jkalman, ummmm....man I am leaving some heavy hitters out....Leahs! Who else.... icon_biggrin.gif...there are lots!

Add Thann Thann to that group too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%