Square Cake Pan?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm by dmich

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering what type of square pan to invest in. I've seen the kind that give you the sharp 90 degree angles and the kind that give you the more rounded soft corner. In the Wilton Brands I'm looking at the Wlton Performance Pans (rounded corners) or the Decorator Preferred (Sharp Corners). Also, are there other brands that anyone can recommend?
Thanks!

13 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 14

A lot of people recommend Magic Line. I haven't used them yet..but that's what I will be getting the next time that I buy pans. And I would go for the crisp, sharp corners!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 14

I've been thinking about investing in the Fat Daddio's line of pans. They have many sizes to choose from and they have the sharp 90 degree angles.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 14

I love my Magic Line pans! I have some that are 20+ years old and still look and bake perfectly and I use my pans a lot. I have taken really good care of them and always hand wash them, but that's just me.
Linda

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 14

Fat Daddio wasn't around when I was investing in pans so I don't know about them. I have seen a few posts that people didn't like them.
But....ML is definitely great and a wise investment over Wilton.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

I've been thinking about investing in the Fat Daddio's line of pans. They have many sizes to choose from and they have the sharp 90 degree angles.

I just purchased the Fat Daddio's square pans, but they have a more rounded corner, which "is perfect for covering with fondant" according to the description.

I love FD's pans, they always bake very evenly and are a snap to clean!

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 14

I have both the wilton performance pans and the wilton decorator preferred lines. I love the thickness of the decorator preferred, but those straight corners are a PAIN to clean the inside of! I like the performance pans alright but they get dinged up easier because they're not as thick. Inspite of the PITA corners, I am still in the process of replacing my performance pans with the decorator preferred...hth

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 14

kakeladi - Did people say what they didn't like about the Fat Daddio's pans? I'm curious before I go spend money on them.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 14

I read through a lot of helpful forums on CC regarding pans (just do a search and many come up). I decided on MagicLine square and love them. In fact, now I wish I didn't have a complete set of round pans from Wilton, no comparision for quality. I do also remember Magicline being recommended over Fat's Daddio in quite a few posts, one even has a side by side photo comparison, which is what I based my choice on.

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 14

Anyone know if this is a good price?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HL02KE/?tag=cakecentral-20

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 14

I use Magic Line, and I love them! I like the sharp corners since I am more of a buttercream girl. I run a skewer down the sides when I am cleaning, and they clean up nicely.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 14

Sweet1122- the price might be. I checked at Country Kitchen, their price was $72.10 -if I added right. But that did not include shipping or tax. Once those are added you might be paying the same or more.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 14

Here's the photo, if that is helpful for you...

thumbs_up.gif
LL

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #14 of 14

I bought some ML pans a few weeks ago and absolutely love them. My cakes turn out so true to shape and I have to do far less carving/clean-up to prep them for BC and fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%