New Cake Business Idea

Business By yeastconfection Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm by cakesdivine

yeastconfection Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

I have an idea for a cake business and I thought I would run it by you CC'ers first to see what you thought. I enjoy making cakes, talking about cakes, and teaching others about cakes. I do not have a cake business but I make cakes out of my home for friends and family. I am looking for a way to bring in extra income but I cannot afford the expense of starting a cake business in my home or renting yet. I just don't think I would have enough clients to make a rent payment in the beginning. And now is such a hard time to start a food business! So, because I enjoy teaching, I naturally thought about classes somewhere or at the local college. The problem with that is the classes around here are Wilton and I don't really like the "wilton method". The college pays an hourly rate (last time I checked it was $10) but you would only make about $30 a week, which I am not sure it's worth it. The idea I came up with is a cake instructor that is called on when a client has a special cake (wedding or anything) that THEY would like to make. I would consult with them, find out what they can do, and point them in the right direction towards a cake they can make with my help. When the event date approaches I come to their home with my supplies (pans & everything) and work with them as an instructor to make the cake. Basically they would be renting my supplies, paying for my instruction, but getting the fullfillment of saying I MADE THIS CAKE! Rates would have to be worked out (perhaps hourly) and all of the "what-ifs?" would have to be ironed out. It would be a good deal for the mother of the bride or friend who wanted to make the cake (because most everyone is DIY nowadays) but did not want to invest in all the cake supplies and was not confident in their skills. They would provide the kitchen, & the actual food items. I would provide the expertise and cake supplies. My payment would be for rental and instruction. I would need to price this service so it is not more then going out and buying a nice cake. The pride the client will have for completing a nice cake themselves might be worth more to them then just buying one. I have my food handlers license and will have to look into insurance but I cannot see how I would need to have a licensed kitchen for this. What do you guys think? Is anyone already doing this? Am I going to tick off the cake business people? I don't think that clients would be "pouring" in- it just would be nice to make extra money doing what I enjoy without having a huge start up expense.

8 replies
kelleym Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 9
cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 9

This is the second time you posted this "idea" If I remember correctly most of us felt it wasn't something that would be profitable or even anything people would be interested in they way you seem to have it structured. You might want to try offering cake decorating parties, where you bring the cake and demo how it is done and bring either dummy or small cakes to teach. I do this and charge $25 per person minimum $100 per party. I bring the undecorated cake, already made BC and fondant, cake boards, bags, tips and boxes to the hostess' house. It is always a very basic cake so their is ease in their accomplishment and completion in alotted time. Usually this will get them to enroll in my classes for more long term income. They get 3 hours of my time plus a cake for the party to eat. If they choose a cupcake party everyone decorates their own cupcake. I supply the supplies and cake. I generally get one or two that sign up for classes at the party, which I offer a discount for if they enroll at the party. The lessons can be private lessons at their home, or a group lesson at their home, or lessons at the licensed kitchen I use. (the church where I work my day job).

I have one of these parties this weekend in fact. I am teaching them how to make a 4"x4"x4" present cake. My out of pocket cost on this is about $30 for supplies and cake ingredients.

yeastconfection Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 9

This is really funny because I am not the original poster you both mentioned. I did read the thread and laughed because there really are no original ideas out there anymore! I sent the original poster a pm to see if she has tried her idea out and what has happened. I really like the idea about the partys. I am just more of an introvert and would probably get so nervous in front of group - but that is a fear I eventually will have to learn to get over! Well sorry to post and find out somene already did! I seriously need to talk to that girl because we have the same brain!

FullHouse Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 9

If you already have the equipment and you wouldn't need to rely on the income, I say it's worth a try since you'd have nothing to lose. I'm not sure how much interest there would be, but if someone calls then give it a go. Laws are different everywhere, but here I know there is a personal chef in my area who will come and cook in your kitchen so she doesn't have to worry about having access to a licensed kitchen, so I guess caking would be the same.

CakesDivine, I was confused by your post since the link Kelly included had a diffent OP. Anyway, sounds like your idea was similar to yeastconfections on a larger scale.

Maybe people would be willing to pay more if it is advertised as a private lesson and OP doesn't feel comfortable in larger groups. I don't know about willingness to pay, but I do know that I've a few friends/neighbors who have asked if I would offer lessons. I haven't done that for $, but I have invited a few friends to keep me company and help out a little for cakes I was doing so they can learn a bit.

cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 9

I market mine as cake decorating parties. I offer an adult party and a kid party.

mw902 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 9

I am wondering if, since there would be money exchanged and a cake produced, even if by the customer with your guidance if there might still be some licensing issues?????

GeminiRJ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #8 of 9

The only thing remotely similar that I remember reading about was like a "lending" service for cake pans. You rented the pans you needed, checking them out like library books, with a set time they had to be back. Late fees applied, just like at the library. I would think a refundable deposit would be required, too.

cakesdivine Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9

I am a state licensed/insured food manufacturer (what you are classified as in Texas if you rent a commercial/licensed kitchen). Again it depends on your state and area you actually live in. Where I am anyone can call themselves a personal chef as long as they have taken a food safety/managers course. As long as you are doing it in a persons home specifically for them you are all good, well in Texas that is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%