How Do I Make This Cake??

Decorating By CakeWhizz Updated 27 Jan 2009 , 4:32am by ILE

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 12

Hello fellow CCers! Your help is needed please. I was sent this photo by a client so I can use elements of it to make their cake. They particularly like the staircase and I need to how how this cake was constructed. Does anyone have any idea? Many thanks for your help!
LL

11 replies
CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone??

arosstx Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

That's a Rachel Mount cake, http://www.rachelmount.com/index.html. I'd know that style anywhere! I would maybe try contacting her and see if she'd help you.

You'd be surprised. I emailed Bronwen Weber last week, and not only did she reply, she CALLED me! Made my day (ok, my week).

I've always thought that Vogue cake was cool, good luck and please post pictures of yours!

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the suggestion Audrey. I will find the courage to do that. Wish me luck!

chilz822 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 12

Yup, that exact cake is in her slideshow on the page. She's amazing for sure!

Cakechick123 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 12

if you read her faq page it says she doesnt give out information on how to make her cakes "I do not disclose information for legal copyright reasons." Her terms and conditions page says all images and designs are copywrited. Maybe it wont be such a great idea to contact her , JMO tho icon_smile.gif

BTW that is a stunning cake and she is soooo talented!!!

Doug Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 12

in answer to your PM:

this sketch may help

main body 2-tier square cake or possibly rectangular.

then stairs -- easy to accomplish by taking an 8 in square and splitting in half on the diagonal and standing on edge.

up top -- two narrow strips added to buildup extra height on sides -- this could be slabs of fondant or very thin layer of cake.

then the center is just two layers staked and carved.

at bottom where model stands in doors -- it appears that there is a small recess carved into the base cakes.

then it's a whole lot of gumpaste panels (sides of stairs, door, columns, door frame, sign, etc.) and what look like royal icing scrolls added.

as for the stairs --- I'd do in buttercream put on extra thick and allowed to get a bit stiff -- then press some square item in it to get the stair step effect.

the dolls -- I'd buy! them and then put onto skewers and stick those into the cake.

the base appears to be 3 cake boards sandwiched, with each one cut back back a little to get the stair step effect.
LL

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you sooo much Doug!! I really appreciate the quick response!

PS You can certainly add me to your list of cake crushes!

Thanks for the advice Riana. I am in no way going to make an exact replica of the cake (quite frankly I couldn't even if I tried, my skills are no where near hers for sure icon_wink.gif. It was just the concept of the cake that the client liked.

mandifrye Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 12

My friend, tread lightly if you are selling this cake!!!!

All of her designs appear to be copywrited! Be careful.

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #10 of 12

Doug you are a genius!

LaBellaFlor Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #11 of 12

Doug you are a genius!

ILE Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #12 of 12

Doug you are the best.....i have you on speed dial in case one day i need your help.....you make it so easy for us with your sketches.. THANK YOU

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%