Michael's Wmis- Stores Closing Earlier?

Decorating By Mom2LiamandQuinn Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm by TexasSugar

Mom2LiamandQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 20

I was told last night by a department mgr that all Michael's stores are going to start closing at 8 rather than 9, effective as soon as they can get it together (probably March). Has anyone else heard this? It sucks! I currently teach from 6:30 to 8:30, so I'd have to move that back an hour, which means my dh has to come home from work early to watch the kids. I also feel like my enrollment is going to go way down- if people work until 5 or 5:30 they aren't going to take a class that starts at 5:30 or 5:45.

Grrrrrrr... just one more thing, I guess.

19 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 20

I have not heard this yet.

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 20

I just called my SM and said, "Hey, I'm making my March schedule and was wondering if there was a sure start date for when Michael's will be closing at 8 so I can adjust my class schedule accordingly." She was like, "Uhhhhh, I haven't heard anything like that." LOL

However, with Michael's, that's par for the course. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 20

Yeah, my store is relatively new so I'm wondering if he was wrong and this is just my store? I'll post again if I hear any more.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 20

Okay gals, here is the info on this, though it is suppose to be hush hush for now. I asked my manager about it and he was shocked that I knew and asked where I heard it from.

But the answer is yes some Michaels stores will be closing at 8 in the near future. How it was explained to me is if there is one or two Michaels stores in the town/city they will close at 8. If there is more than two they will still all be open until 9. He hasn't heard word yet on when this is happening though.

Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Okay gals, here is the info on this, though it is suppose to be hush hush for now. I asked my manager about it and he was shocked that I knew and asked where I heard it from.

But the answer is yes some Michaels stores will be closing at 8 in the near future. How it was explained to me is if there is one or two Michaels stores in the town/city they will close at 8. If there is more than two they will still all be open until 9. He hasn't heard word yet on when this is happening though.

I was told it wa stored graded C & D... so par for course for Michael's... two totally different answers. icon_rolleyes.gif

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:40am
post #7 of 20

My second Michael's account is a D volume store and I was told today that because our peak sales period is at night, we are not one of the stores that will be closing at 8. At my other account, the manager said she had never heard of this proposed change. :rolleyes:

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #8 of 20

He didn't mention anything about grades, just said it depended on how many stores were in the area. Like I said he was very surprised I knew, because apparently it isn't widely known yet. I think the management at my store is pretty close to the DM and she tells them stuff before it is 'announced'.

I'm pretty much going to plan for the change to happen in March, since he said it wouldn't happen until they printed and had time to change out all the signage. I'm going to schedule my classes from 6-8. Even though that is right at closing, I can't really see doing it too much earlier (and told my manager this). I'm just going to have to get in the habit of pushing them to get finished or clean up in time to be out of there. Hobby Lobby closes at 8 and they have successfull evening classes there, so hopefully we will too.

I also expressed my feelings to him on the change in the class prices on top of the 4 students. He understands my concern, but there isn't much he can do about anything either. I also told him I thought the 'themed' demo's to sell products were stupid and didn't help the class program. He understands that as well.

I'm glad I have a store that is supportive and agrees that some of the store policies are out there. icon_smile.gif

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 20

Yup, the new store hours go into effect at my store this Saturday. I wasn't told by anyone- had to find out from the sign on the door. I already have 12 people signed up for classes starting next week- now I get to start making the dreaded phone calls telling them about the time change, and see how many people I lose. I already know that I'm losing at least 3 from Course 3, they don't get off work until 5:30.

I'm more mad about the lack of communication than anything. I mean, really. They have my phone number.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 20

Damn, that was so rude of your store manager not to include you in that info!

My 1st store manager came back and told me a few days ago that when I questioned her about the new hours, she actually knew but couldn't tell me what she knew. She sure had me fooled into thinking she really didn't know anything. She said only 1 store in our district was affected.

I'm sorry that you and your students will be inconvenienced by this change. Michael's is undergoing many, many ugly changes right now. It's been a really rough past year.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 20

Mom2LiamandQuinn: Can you teach from 6-8? Where I take classes, they are from 6-8 and the store closes at 8. We students always hold them up from closing right at 8, but I don't think they mind (too much).

TexasSugar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:01am
post #12 of 20

I have already warned my manager that I was teaching from 6-8. At least at first to see how he goes. I don't have any problems with the employees at my store, and they are usually still cleaning up after close. I just have to make sure no one needs to buy anything at the end of class.

EC postion is ending soon as well. I'm not sure if all the changes at once are a good or bad thing. Guess we will have to see.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 20

I'm going to move them back to 5:45 and see how it goes. I literally have not seen or spoken to my actual store manager, ASM or EC in weeks. I have only been doing this since November, and I already do all the things that apparently my EC is supposed to be doing (I didn't know this, it was just how I was shown) like putting the sign ups in the book, ordering course books, etc. The only thing that will change there is doing the calendar, and since my store is still displaying the January calendar (helpful!) I actually am sort of happy about that.

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #14 of 20

Aaaaand, a new twist. My phone just rang (7:30 on Friday night) and it was an employee from Michael's. Not a manager or the EC, mind you, just an hourly employee that I am friendly with. She was calling to tell me that the store is NOT starting its new hours on the first, and they don't know when the change will occur.

Of course, I have already made all of my phone calls to my students and informed them of the change. I don't know whether to leave it or call them all back. But I will be marching my butt into that store tomorrow to try to get a straight answer and find out why a MANAGER can't manage to call me.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 20

I spoke to the Manager at Michael's where I live yep they will be closing at 8:00 p.m. My friends and I walked in the Michael's looking for yarn. He asked me where I hear the info. I said cake central forum!

Tarabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarabell Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:49am
post #16 of 20

I'm a new WMI, just taught my first and only course in December and I'm getting frustrated with all the changes, both with Wilton and Michaels. It seems like they are both trying out-do each other with changes. I haven't heard about early store closings, but there is enough going on without that. I can't even book 4 people into a class right now, nor can the other WMI at the store. I hope things settle down soon!!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 20

The new evening scheduled schedule at the Michael's near where I live

Course 1 Mondays, 5:45- 7:45 p.m.

Course 3 Tuesdays 5:30 -7:30 p.m.

Course 2 Sunday 4-6

Our Michaels cancelled all day classes due to low enrollment.

Before the evening classes started at 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

This Michaels will be closing a 8:00 p.m.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #18 of 20

I know what you mean. Over the Summer one of our classes was switched from the classroom to the middle of the store. After much protest (try learning with strangers looking over your shoulder constantly) we moved it back to the classroom.

Wilton was good about it and sent each of us a cupcake kit free for the inconvenience. Nice of them to do that, but when you are teaching, you don't need any outside distractions either.

Have a great day!

Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #19 of 20

My store actually built our Wilton aisle around teaching on it.

We have not had any problems with people being intrusive. Yes we have people stop to watch, yes some ask questions but they have all been respectful.

The one problem we had I fixed. In October we had two guys trying to distract students to get to their purses. I've since started setting up a display table at the start of the aisle so they can't just walk by and see what's under the student tables. You can get in the aisle on both sides with a cart but not up to a student with out being noticed. On that table is flyers, my give away offers (bring a friend, refferal program etc).

The other end of the aisle has the large display on rollers we turn sideways so people can't get around it on either side and that is pushed to the end of the aisle. It's one way in/out.

TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #20 of 20

I didn't tell my manager where I heard about it from, though he does know that I am apart of a message board just for instructors, so I am sure that is where he thinks I got it from. He did come in after the Demo Saturday and ask me if I had heard anything else and what other instructors have said about it.

He said he hadn't heard when the hourly change would be, but that the stores signs and things would have to be redone first. So I'd be watching for those to change. I went ahead and left my Feb classes at 6:30-8:30, then in March I will be moving up to 6-8, but will do the C1 on Saturday morning. I wanted to give the 6-8 a try to see how it works out before doing C1. I do have the dates and times for April in my flyer that is hanging beside the store calender, but I also have a note that changes could be made and for them to check times and dates when they sign up.

Tarabell, there have been various changes through out the years, but I do think that this is the first time it seems like a bunch at once. I'm not a fan of the 'rule of 4' as I call it, but I know other stores have it and still have plenty of classes. I'm not a big fan of the price increase, but thank that they still offer promotions (though I wish they would do away with the promotions and just offer a lower regular price). I'm not really bothered by the removal of the ECs job either. I already put my own sign up sheets in the books, and did most of her job anyway. Now all I have to do is add the labels to the calendar.

Things will settle down, until the next set of changes. Every time there has been a price change in the classes, it is usually at the first of the year, so we have 11 more months for that one. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%