Bridal Shows In Philly Area

Business By Kitagrl Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 3:12am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 5

Trying not to get too frustrated here...

Is there ANY such thing as a bridal show around here on a SATURDAY that costs LESS than $500 to attend? Good grief. It seems like there is just no spot for a small cake business to stick a nose in the corner of the business here.

I am paying for The Knot each month and its doing nothing for me...and I can barely afford that right now as business is slow. WeddingWire is helping me some. I've been crazily emailing local caterers and wedding coordinators in the area letting them know about my website and offering to bring by samples. Its such a huge area I wouldn't even know where to begin if I decided to drive around doing cold calls.

I think I"ve mentioned before, I'm getting groom's cakes orders as seems like my reputation around here is getting fairly good for 3D cakes but I want someone to order WEDDING cakes from me. I really really REALLY need the higher priced wedding cakes, as the smaller cakes are so much more work for less profit (though I'm pricing them the same as weddings of course.) The only way it seems to get wedding cakes is to have alot of money, enough to network with ISES and attend bridal shows. But I can't do any Sunday shows, nor can I afford to risk $500 or more on a wedding show (especially until my Knot contract ends.)

Anyone here try to build a wedding business in the Philadelphia area? I guess I won't find any sympathy or help if you have LOL...because if you have, its probably a secret I would keep, too!

I mean, here I'm doing tastings for people's groom's cakes, after they've already gotten their wedding cake. I can't afford to turn away the business, but I sure do wish these tastings would be going for more than a $200 or $300 3D cake.

Sorry not trying to whine...just watching bills mount up this year and having a panic attack. haha.

4 replies
cakedout Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 5

Boy, I feel your pain. I used to do a big bridal show here in Lancaster County and paid $500! That's a big investment for a little in-home business!

Not sure what to suggest...what about a local bridal magazine/newspaper insert? they would be cheaper than the PA Knot.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate your ad: is it eye-catching? does it envoke an emotional response? does it make a bride want to pick up the phone immediately to talk to you?

I used to do direct mailings, but that is probably not cost effective anymore.

I'd just make up some samples and trot myself to the office of some of the closest consultants!

good luck

Kitagrl Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your reply!

I think my ad is pretty much as nice as any of the others...and if you Google my business name, alot of stuff comes up because I've been online for several years. I think somehow I really need to network rather than just advertise.

Seriously thinking about using that money to network when my Knot contract is up....

trumpetmidget Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 5

I think there is a bridal show on an Tuesday night - Let Them Eat Cake. Not sure when it is, though. I know it is on Tuesday nights because I can't go. Good luck.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 5

I did go to that one last year but this year it is not sure if they are able to actually hold it. I am keeping an eye on it though. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%