Ideas Needed For Little House On The Prairie Cake

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm by KirschSalvator

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 9

Next month my daughter's Little House on the Prairie book club will be having a Laura Ingalls birthday party. They are currently reading Little House in the Big Woods. I am supposed to be making the cake.

Any ideas for a cake design would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!

8 replies
craftyone65 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 9

How cool!!! That is still one of my favorite books/shows...even after all these years. First thing I thought of was duplicating the outside of the cabin but I see what you mean its a hard one. Good luck to you and let us know what you come up with.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 9

I saw this cake in the gallery. dbuesing did a great job on it.

I think it is too tough for me, plus the girls will be discussing The Big Woods until May, so I probably should do something for that. I like that covered wagon, but I would have no clue how to do that. I think it is beyond my capabilities.

Hmm, maybe I could just do a covered wagon cake. I wonder how to do it though? Off to search the gallery some more.

Rebelady Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9

How about doing an open book with two actual pages from The Big Woods? The illustrations in those books are great! If you can't copy it free hand you could always do a chocolate or frozen buttercream transfer. I think the club would be excited to see a cake version of the book they're reading. Good Luck and let us know what you come up with!!! icon_biggrin.gif

jguilbeau Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 9
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Just posting in case anyone else needs ideas for the future.

My cake is not due until Wednesday, so I don't have a pic yet (not sure I'll be able to post it anyway as my photo editing is not working).

Anyway, I found two cakes in the gallery that I am going to combine ideas from. The party is in February, so winter, so I will frost the cake in white, for the snow, then put a bunch of trees and the house, similar to these two gallery pics. If I am adventurous, I might attempt to make some other items to go around the house, such as the fence that is mentioned on the first pages of the story, and aybe even a wolf or two. (I might beg my daughter's uncle, he's good with stuff like that!) I've never done fondant figures before.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:47am
post #7 of 9

Updating for future reference.

Here's our final cake.

Kimmers971 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #8 of 9

That came out great. I'm sure the girls loved it!

KirschSalvator Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 9

How cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%