Chocolate

Baking By lotus Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm by lotus

lotus Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 5

hi,

I'm trying to make homemade chocolate and I need to know if I have to retemper the remaining chocolate after first use or not?

And my chocolate is not so shiny after it dries out do I make something wrong when tempering? icon_sad.gif

Best

4 replies
Bijoudelanuit Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 5

You can check the temper by dipping in a plastic spoon or utensil. If it sets in 2 minutes it is tempered. If the chocolate has set/hardened you will most likely need to temper it again, unless you can melt it with out raising the temperature above 88.

If it doesn't have a shine or sheen then perhaps it may not have been temperered correctly or it could be the quality of chocolate if you've used it previously- At most you can retemper chocolate only 5 or 6 times.

lotus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:01am
post #3 of 5

Thanx so much,
yeah maybe it's the quality of the choc. Unfortunately there is no choc in here that contains %70 cacao butter. I've added caco butter into the choc while I was melting/tempering.
the first ones were very shiny After I've tempered the chocolate, but this morning they had very small dots on them like water marks, which I can't use them for sale icon_cry.gif
Could it be because of the caco butter I've added or just the quality of the choc???

thnx again
best

Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:41am
post #4 of 5

Adding cocoa butter isn't the same as tempering- it's a quicker method to try and stabilize the chocolate. If there are the little dots (bloom) you must have heated it to too high of a temperature.

You could always re-dip the ones you made so that they have a nicer outer layer?

lotus Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 5

ok I will try again and again, thnx so much....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%