Confused On How To Charge For Sculpted Cake?

Decorating By joy5678 Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 3:44am by joy5678

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 11:54am
post #1 of 5

Making a realistic true to size hat that kinda looks like a baseball cap but fluffy instead of rounded (for a woman) anyway, do you have a starting price for sculpted cakes and how do you determine ahead of time what to charge? Don't know how long this will take since I've not done one before. I'm one of those that always undercharges but I'm getting tired of giving my work away. icon_cry.gif BTW, they don't want to eat it. Just for decoration----they are ordering mini-cakes from a "friends" bakery to eat!! icon_surprised.gif Trying not to be "ticked" but I am. This is a sweet lady & since they are going in together for the party I'm thinkin that they are sharing the responsibilities & her friend has a friend also. Her husband has seen my cakes & he told her about me. So, what do you think? Thanks for your help in the pricing matter. Just needed to get the rest off my chest.

4 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hey Cake Buddy! I can't quite imagine a "fluffy" baseball cap but I START anything sculpted at $3-4 per serving. That being said, if it is a cap type design that can just be made in a sports ball pan and covered with fondant, I don't really consider that sculpting. It's just another shaped cake.

Bummer on the "other bakery" thing, but yours will look and taste so terrific that next time they'll order everything from you! thumbs_up.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

This question comes up a lot, and some of the threads get a lot of answers and they're all different.... My own method, when I do a sculpted cake, is to plan ahead to have as little waste as possible and then start my prices at around $5/serving. Don't just bake a big sheet cake and start hacking away at it. Fortunately, with a baseball cap, you can start with rounds and have almost no waste, so you don't have to figure scrap into the price or servings very much. Once you've done a few sculpted cakes, you'll see how long it takes you to finish them and whether it comes easily for you or not, and from that you'll have an easier time determining your prices. Some things you have to experiment to see how it works for you. As mgdqueen said, if you're using something like the sports ball pan and really aren't doing much sculpting if any, I personally wouldn't charge for it being a sculpted cake. I'd charge regular prices.

Post a pic when you get it done!

Deanna

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

I have a $150 minimum for sculpted cakes, but I charge anywhere from $6 to $15+/person. Sculpted cakes take forever, and not everyone can do them. You should be compensated for your time and knowledge.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #5 of 5

Thanks ladies! I appreciate your advice. I had considered charging $50 but after reading your responses I think I'll go for $75 & give a 1st time customer disc. of 10%. The hat is not exactly a ball cap but a pageboy hat (like paperboys wore in the 40's) & will need to be carved some to work. The pan I'm using will serve about 18. I think the ball pan will be too small unless she decides to go cheaper! icon_mad.gif I could wack the top off & carve the bottom. I can use buttercream & the hat will be white, so it should be pretty simple. $150 sounds good but I don't really think it would fly in this area. In fact I'll be pleasantly surprised if the $75 does. Anymore input will be appreciated. I'm going to e-mail her tomorrow & see what happens. I'll keep ya posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%