Nfsc How Long Does It Keep?

Baking By Lelka Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:17am by Kookie

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #1 of 24

I need to make 75 cookies with very intricate design. I would like to make as much as I can a few days ahead, but I am not sure how much time can I have? Can anybody help me? Thank you in advance.

23 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #2 of 24

If you're talking about the dough, I kept a big batch in the 'frig for a couple of weeks or more and just pulled out what I needed when I got a small order.

If you mean rolling out the dough, cutting out the cookies, those will keep in the freezer for short of forever.

If you go ahead and bake the cookies, then freeze, they will hold up great (did this for my nephew's graduation).

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:33am
post #3 of 24

You can cut them and decorate them and freeze them; I do this all the time and they'll still yummy. You can freeze the dough too. HTH thumbs_up.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 24

I just conducted an experiment of sorts here.

I had a stenciled cookie wrapped and in my freezer for months. It held up great! After it was thawed at room temp, DH said it tasted like it was just made!

The design held up perfectly also. icon_smile.gif

Lelka Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 24

Thank you ladies!!! I want to bake them, decorate them and then freeze them! What freezing method would your recommend? Wrap in plastic? Or in ziploc bag? Or foil? Or just a container?

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 24

Lelka, we all have different methods, but I use those airtight rubbermaid containers (clear with reddish lid) from Walmart, they are probably (24 long x 9 wide size maybe) they have shallow and deep, and I put parchment between layers, both on decorated and naked cookies. I have also put bagged (tied with a ribbon) cookies into those airtight rubbermaid containers, and they thawed beautifully

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 24

I use the exact containers that Shiney does. They are the perfect size and come in different heights. The lids fit nice and tight. The secret to a nice crisp cookie is to leave the lid on until the container comes to room temperature. Anything cold will pull the moisture out of the air. The outside of my containers will become quite wet to the touch, especially with the high humidity here in Florida. The cookies inside are always perfect. You can't tell they have been frozen, either by looks or taste.

nisha_ru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nisha_ru Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 24

What about freezing cookies decorated with Toba Garrett's Glace'? Does it still come out shiny after being frozen?

shiney Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 24

Nisha, I never got a real shiney effect with TG, even tried adding glycerin. But, they do freeze fine, just be sure to add bright-white (white-white) to your entire batch before mixing colors. They get blotchy when frozen if you don''t use the whtie.

Joanne: Aren't those containers wonderful? Absolutely airtight. When I'm on a roll, I've got those things all over high surfaces in my den and living room, because I put my cookies in them to dry, and you can't stack the cookies wet!

cakecrumbs116 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrumbs116 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 24

ok i have a questions about thawing the cookies. i plan to bake cookies ahead of time. im not sure if i should decorate them first or wait til they thaw. what do you think? and when i freeze them should i wrap the cookies first and then layer them in the container?

shiney Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #11 of 24

Cakecrumbs: You can do either, depends on how your time plays out before you need them. I prefer to freeze them naked, then decorate. But I've done both and been pleased. I've put them in airtight container both wrapped and not, and they have thawed fine. The secret is AIRTIGHT! So if you're not sure if your container is airtight, then I would put them in freezer ziplock bags, then into the container. To me the container protects them from getting broken. Also remember the more layers you have (between parchment or wax paper), the bigger chance you take of the bottom layers could getting some breakage.

Cathy741 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy741 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #12 of 24

My suggestion for thawing decorated cookies is to thaw in the container in the refrigerator. It's all about not making the cookies sweat once decorated. Have done this numerous times and agree that you can't tell the difference between a cookie that's been frozen for weeks and a cookie made a couple of days ago. One tip: be careful of red and black and white. I noticed one time that the red on a cookie bled a little bit and I know black can do the same. Try a couple and see how it works for you before doing a whole batch. Good luck.

Lelka Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 24

I have a question...again... I placed cookies in the container and into the freezer and 24 hours I remember that I forgot to place wax paper in between the cookies!!!! Am I still safe? How well they will separate now? Or I have to prepare myself for a rebaking? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shiney Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 24

Lelka, Just put them in between wax or parchment paper now while they are frozen, then right back into the freezer. I believe it would be the thawing process that would effect the icing. Good Luck!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #15 of 24

How long will the dough last in the freezer? Would you need to freeze in smaller peices?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #16 of 24

I typically make an entire recipe of NFSC and it fits perfectly in the one gallon size Ziploc bag. I just make sure to flatten it as much as I can. It makes it easier to stack in the freezer.

I usually make four batches at a time(that's the way the butter comes at Sam's Club) I've kept it frozen for 3 to 4 months at the most. I just bring it up and refrigerate it to thaw, then on the counter for about 30min and roll and cut. Then cut shapes on sheets go back in the freezer till frozen then I bake.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:53pm
post #17 of 24

Thank you. That's going to help out a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemookie

I typically make an entire recipe of NFSC and it fits perfectly in the one gallon size Ziploc bag. I just make sure to flatten it as much as I can. It makes it easier to stack in the freezer.

I usually make four batches at a time(that's the way the butter comes at Sam's Club) I've kept it frozen for 3 to 4 months at the most. I just bring it up and refrigerate it to thaw, then on the counter for about 30min and roll and cut. Then cut shapes on sheets go back in the freezer till frozen then I bake.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #18 of 24

I made NFSC with Toba's glace for my son's birthday party last year. Because of his accident the day of his party, we ended up putting the cookies and the cake in the deep freeze. I didn't touch those cookies for 6 months and when I pulled one out and let it come to room temp, it tasted just as good as the day I made them. They are the construction cookies in my pictures. I didn't have any problems with them sweating.

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:58pm
post #19 of 24

How long do they last once you've baked and decorated? Do you think 2 weeks is ok?

Ana

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #20 of 24

Nisha, I never got a real shiney effect with TG, even tried adding glycerin. But, they do freeze fine, just be sure to add bright-white (white-white) to your entire batch before mixing colors. They get blotchy when frozen if you don''t use the whtie.

WHEN I FREEZE MY COOKIES THE COLORS TURN BLOTCHY, WHITE...
BUT IF I USE WHITE - WHITE (IS THAT A COLOR? ) THEY WILL KEEP THEIR PERFECT COLOR?

Daisy135 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy135 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #21 of 24

Awesome to know that this dough can be frozen for several months...thanks ladies!

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:25pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

Lelka, we all have different methods, but I use those airtight rubbermaid containers (clear with reddish lid) from Walmart, they are probably (24 long x 9 wide size maybe) they have shallow and deep, and I put parchment between layers, both on decorated and naked cookies. I have also put bagged (tied with a ribbon) cookies into those airtight rubbermaid containers, and they thawed beautifully

Hi Shiney, I just came back from Wal Mart and found shallow ones and deep ones. if you have both style, which one do you like?
I wanted to get deep one but I was not sure if I stuck up lots of cookies ,
they might break.
Thank you.

shiney Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #23 of 24

I do prefer the shallow ones. I had bought several deep ones before I found the shallow ones. I dry mine in there, one layer, so shallow works best for that. But, for freezing naked cookies, I try to use the deep ones, just stack smart! And if I have some already packged in bags, the deep one is good to use to freeze those.

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I do prefer the shallow ones. I had bought several deep ones before I found the shallow ones. I dry mine in there, one layer, so shallow works best for that. But, for freezing naked cookies, I try to use the deep ones, just stack smart! And if I have some already packged in bags, the deep one is good to use to freeze those.

Hi Shiney,
I think I will buy both of them.
Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%