Dinosaur/transformer/star Wars Cake

Decorating By booberfrog Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm by korensmommy

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 12

My son's 4th birthday is coming up and I am needing some ideas. He loves Dinosaurs, transformers and star wars the clone wars. He said he wants all 3 for his birthday. Does any one have any ideas about how to incoprorate these things into one cake??
I doesn't need to be elaborate or anything, I haven't done a cake since his birthday last year so the easier the better. Oh and it only needs to feed about 30-35 people.
Thanks

11 replies
booberfrog Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:28am
post #2 of 12

No one has any ideas???

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:02am
post #4 of 12

I saved this in my favorites a while ago. What about doing a cube with a different theme on each side made using edible images.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=14041

or maybe a television...3-d or sheet cake. I have one in my photos that I made for my cousin's daughter. I don't have a edible image printer so I used a color print sealed in contact paper.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:12am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickilyn

I don't have a edible image printer so I used a color print sealed in contact paper.

Not even clear contact paper is food safe, it leaches phthalates.

For more info on the dangers of phthalates:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-614745-15.html

HTH

Nickilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickilyn Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 12

Thanks JanH, I was worried about that and will never do it again. I only tried it because the contact paper was adhered to the the fondant only (with icing) which my family always pulls off. It never came came in contact with the underlying buttercream and cake...but I still will never do it again.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 12

My 5 year old son's best buddy requested I make him just the 'landscape' for his cake. He wanted a Spiderman v. T-Rex birthday and wanted to place his own action figures on the cake (after his mom washed them very well, of course!).
I made a forest, erupting volcano, river, grass and sand area and he did the rest with his figures.
Hope this helps stimulate thoughts/ideas for your cake!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 12

Haha. Sounds like SUCH a little boy cake!

My daughter one time wanted a Dora Butterfly Dinosaur with Icecream cake. What that turned out to be was my dora castle cake, with a dinosaur guarding the moat, and ice cream shaped cookies. You just gotta get crative.

Good luck!

booberfrog Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:04am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all the ideas. I actually asked him if he wanted to have dinosaurs fighting transformers and he got all excited so that is what we are doing, basically like how you said Korensmommy, I really don't like using "toys" on cakes but it's for my 4 year old son so whatever makes him happy!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:31am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by booberfrog

but it's for my 4 year old son so whatever makes him happy!

Is he your avatar? What a cutie! icon_biggrin.gif

(You're going to be beating the girls off with sticks in a few years.) icon_lol.gif

booberfrog Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 9:18am
post #11 of 12

That's him! That picture is about 1 1/2 years old though, He still looks exactly the same just a little older. I need to put a recent picture.

Thank You!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 12

I agree with toys on cakes - I strive to make cakes that 100% edible. With that said, some people (especially kids) just love toys on their cakes! And if they're paying me, I'll do what they want!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%