Flavored Simple Syrup - Anyone Try This?

Decorating By mom2rascals Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm by CakesByLJ

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #1 of 10

Can you use a Torani flavored syrup for a simple syrup? Has anyone tried this?

I'm also wondering if you could use the sugar-free versions of flavored syrups -- or do you need the sugar for the moisture? TIA

9 replies
moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 10

I have used the DaVinci flavored syrups, including the sugar-free, with no problems at all. They're wonderful, quick, convenient and taste wonderful.

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

I haven't tried with a ready-made syrup (yet) but I have made my own flavored syrups and used them as a substitute for maple syrup. The basil one was soso, the white wine & citrus was better.

If I ever get hold of some more Saskatoon Berry syrup (got a sample at a food show a couple years ago) I want to try it in icing.

mom2rascals Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #4 of 10

I had never thought of using maple syrup!! I'm sure that would compliment any spice cake or pumpkin cake nicely . . . what a wonderful idea, thanks rwarren. Why did you want to substitute maple?

Is this the same Saskatoon Berry syrup that is sold for pancake syrup? If so, there are at least half a dozen other fruit flavored syrups sold from the Okanogan (readily available in Alberta).

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 10

Oh yeah - I LOVE using DaVinci syrups (both regular and sugar-free) in cakes and buttercream. They add a big punch of flavor and are relatively inexpensive, esp. if you buy them from Sam's.

I've heard great things about Torani syrups but haven't tried any yet.

Your avatar is SCARY!!! icon_surprised.gif WTH is that??

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rascals

what a wonderful idea, thanks rwarren. Why did you want to substitute maple?).

I've been working on the various monthly challenges for Iron Cupcake: Earth http://ironcupcake.blogspot.com/ . The January flavor of the month is Wine. I have a maple syrup icing with 35% cream that gets rave reviews (my mom eats it out of the bowl before it hits the cake!) so I tried substituting with another syrup (based on what you pour on a lemon bread) to get a different flavor. Putting on the thinking cap and coming up with something unique is fun, though I get virtually no orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rascals

Is this the same Saskatoon Berry syrup that is sold for pancake syrup?

Yes it is, here is the product link for the sample I had: http://www.saskatoonberry.com/shopping/sbsw.html There is a sugar free version too. Sask Berry anything is not really seen this end of the country. The company was at SIAL two years ago.

mom2rascals Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

Your avatar is SCARY!!! icon_surprised.gif WTH is that??

I have no idea . . . My husband thought it reminded him of me! I AM a bit of a Mischievious & revengeful person. It only seems fitting that I am blessed with 2 rascals of my own! (boys, of course)

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 11:56am
post #8 of 10

I flavor mine with grand marnier nad organge zest or limencello and lemon zest...vanilla bean or anyother extracts for a particular flavor. The orange is to die for.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 10

I don't know if this will work for cakes or not, but when I want flavored pancake syrup, I put some jam in a bowl, add water then nuke it just a bit. Heating it helps the jam to melt and incorporate the water. After it is stirred up, it makes a very nice syrup. (I love chocolate chip pancakes with some kind of berry or apricot syrup!) I suppose if you wanted to add a punch to a cake, you could probably also add alcohol, but I don't drink so I don't know.

I also add jam to frostings. Last week we had blackberry jam cakes with blackberry cream cheese frosting. The cake recipe is from the book "Small Batch Baking". It was supposed to have a maple frosting, but I decided to add the jam to the cream cheese frosting to give it a fruitier taste (I'm not the biggest fan of maple).

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxey2000

I have used the DaVinci flavored syrups, including the sugar-free, with no problems at all. They're wonderful, quick, convenient and taste wonderful.

I love the DaVinci syrups, but have never thought of using them that way. Do you boil the sugar and water and then add it, or how do you make it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%