Cake Dummies

Decorating By LaTasha Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 4:21am by jammjenks

LaTasha Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:37am
post #1 of 5

Hello CC Family!!!

I have a few questions:
1. If I use cake dummies to display my work:
a. Where should I store it when finished for future display.
b. What types of icing can I use.

2. What do I use to get a smooth surface on the cake dummies.
3. How many should I make for display use of my work.

Thank You Family thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 5

1. If I use cake dummies to display my work:
a. Where should I store it when finished for future display.
b. What types of icing can I use. ........

Do you have a shop? Do you have room to store them? You could take pix of them then strip off the icing & start again.
You can use b'cream or fondant = your choice.

........2. What do I use to get a smooth surface on the cake dummies.
Styro comes w/a smooth surface. The icing should go on smooth just as if you were working on a real cake.

3. How many should I make for display use of my work.
Depends on the room you have to display them; the type of work you do; what you want to display etc.

cakesbyjen Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 5

a - if you are doing any bright colors, or really any colors, i would suggest not setting them in direct sunlight, because they will fade...

b - for dummy cakes, i like to use fondant, but you can use anything that you want really, if you are going for long term use, go with something that will dry and not mold, so fondants, royal icings those type of things... if you are going for short term use, i don't see why you couldn't use buttercream, but i think after a while it would get moldy so i wouldn't recommend for more than a couple weeks...

2 - you treat it like a normal cake, you can use your hands, or icing smoothers, or a spatula, or whatever you use to work with your selected icing method... i like to use my hands for fondant while i hold the cake, usually sideways which is always a nice change since it's fake and won't fall apart on me!

3 - this is completely up to you!!! have a couple crazy techniques that you are amazing at? make 3 cakes, or make one 3 tier cake with 3 different designs... the skies the limit with these!! how many ideas and how much money do you have?! lol

prterrell Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #4 of 5

If you are going to set them up for a display for any length of time I would use fondant and royal icing, not buttercream.

jammjenks Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 5

Maybe it depends on the type of bc, but I have one that I decorated mid October 08 with bc and it is still display-worthy. The bc has dried so hard that I'd probably have to pry it off with an ice pick to clean it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%