How The Heck?!?

Decorating By RobzC8kz Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm by Melvira

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a 3D car with Mickey and Minnie Mouse driving it for a referral.

I've read the posts about copyright infringement a million times and I also read a disclaimer from Rosebud Cakes that said they were able to sell a Disney themed cake to a client as long as they used figures that were purchased from the Disney Store on it.

Now I've tried finding figures from Disney to put in the cake, but I can't find any that are 1.) large enough or 2.) posed correctly.

A car without Mickey and Minnie is just a car!!

Any suggestions?!

6 replies
saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 7

At Disneyland Mickey and Minnie don't drive the car, they stand in the back and wave - can you find standing figurines that would fit? Then you could just model a little driver with a cap!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 7

The only way that I know of that it's legal to do what you just said is for the customer to have the figures and put them on themselves after you give them the cake. Unless you purchase something like a DecoPac kit that is licensed for resale, it doesn't matter where you bought the figures. If you haven't paid for the right to resell it, it's copyright infringement. Now, if this has changed, someone PLEASE educate me. I don't want to pass on any incorrect info!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 7

The only thing you can do without risking it is to have the clients buy the plastic figurines and you put them on there. I think you can't even buy them for the cake-they have to. I'm not 100% on that, though.

I know this is tough-I think Disney in particular is pretty evil about this, and even has spies that call bakeries posing as customers to see who will take the bait.

Good luck!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 7

Make the cake and then give them the figures as a gift for free. there is nothing illegal or copyrighted about giving a gift - if thats the case then the whole world is in trouble.

you could even put them in a box and wrap it up - but I see that the problem is more that you can't find them, I agree with the other poster, most of the time mickey and minnie are standing by the car, I have only seen them driving once on mickey mouse clubhouse.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Y'all! I gave the figures as a gift to the children. I wrapped them in a box, had the kids open it, then assembled the pieces on the cake. I specifically told the Mom that the figures were a gift and no charge. I hope that suffices.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 7

I think that should be absolutely fine!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%