Color Out Of Control

Baking By riSHEL Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm by riSHEL

riSHEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riSHEL Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 12

I'm sure many of you have already discovered this, but just in case you haven't... here is my newest organization find:

The color gel bottles are getting a little out of control. They were fine in a drawer for a while, but it was a pain to search for a specific color.

At Micheals in the jewelry section, I noticed the plastic containers for beads and it hit me! My color will fit in there! YAY!! It's perfect! I love it!! If a bottle was too large, I simply clipped the plastic partition with my kitchen scissors and wala!

My husband laughs every time I go for a color with this big grin on my face cuz I think I'm so cool and say, "yeah,.... I got skillz" icon_cool.gif
LL

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 12

That's awesome! I might have to use that. My color box is quite the pain to fish through.

Busybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Busybear Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 12

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 12

Awesome! I'm always trying to figure out how to organize my stuff.

Any tips on sprinkles, dragees, etc.? My bottles for those are all different sizes.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 12

Sallene, don't know if this would work for you, but I have a shallow box, like 2 1/2 foot by 1 1/2 foot, I keep my bottles of sprinkles, dragees, edible glitter, etc, turned upside down in there, that way I can see what they all are, and it's quick pickins. I just bring it to the table while I'm decorating.

riSHEL: What great organization. I picked up some see-through shoe boxes so i can organize my cutters. Next step is the colors. I'm figuring I just want americolor now, all my wilton's are drying up after they are opened for a while. BUT, I bought four boxes of the wilton from walmart sale isle (our little walmart decided to stop carrying them), So I still have several to organize! I love your idea

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for the tip! I might have to try that. I'm still waiting on my baking center to be finished, so I'm holding off on buying organizers until that is done.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 12

riShell, you are so nice to share. I have already discovered this - each compartment is just perfect for the wilton gel colors. Of course like you I have several. I didn't think to share this with everyone so I'm glad you did. It is a great way to store them although,sometimes they do leak even if I really screw on the tops. It is an easy cleanup though with the containers being plastic.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 12

Great idea, riSHEL! Thanks for sharing! My problem is that the Wilton colors I have leak. I am putting a piece of plastic wrap over the top before I tighten the lid, but what a mess on those I haven't done that to before!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 12

Tracy, smart move on your part, I'm finding lots of mine have congealed after being open a while. So you're creating a better seal!

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 12

Good idea about the plastic wrap because they do leak. Oh! We are such smart "cookies" here! (sorry, I couln't help myself!) icon_biggrin.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 12

I have been using this idea sine I ventured into this hobby! I did notice that the wilton leak. Instead of storing laying down stand it on edge so the tops are facing up, no leak there!

riSHEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riSHEL Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #12 of 12

Smart Cookies... hee... you're cute Peeverly. I love how we give each other tips not only on baking and decorating techniques, but all things related to our addictive hobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%