Fondant Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By teswade Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 1:49am by kakeladi

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 2

I was wondering what the difference was between fondant and gum paste. Are they both edible? I see instructions for the same thing but one is with fondant and one is with gum paste. Which one is better? I have made the mmf before and today I bought the wilton gum paste mix. I am so confused. I hope you can help me.

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 2

Fondant is a dough like concoction of powdered sugar & Crisco (or fat) much like pie dough is fat & flour. It can be used to cover a cake &/or for decorations.

GumPaste is a substance very, very similar but w/a major ingredient added - a gum that makes it dry fast and give it super stretch. It is usually rolled very, very thin and used to create life-like flowers. It dries super hard but is fragile. To eat it would be like eating egg shells. It is never used to cover a cake just for decorations that need to be hard.

You can turn fondant into gumpaste by adding Tylose a type of gum (it's actually a gum substitute).

Wilton GP Mix is not a great gp. But it will give you an introduction to working w/it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%