Buttercream Roses

Decorating By flowermom Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 3:53am by flowermom

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 5

I learned to make buttercream roses in my wilton class, using the Wilton recipe and instructions. Once I got the hang of them, I didn't have any problems.

The last time I did a cake with roses (it's the wedding cake with red roses) I used Sugar Shack's BC Recipe mixed with Americolor Red. However about 1/4 of the way through my roses, started cracking, and the shortening started to separate, making the roses impossible to hold together. They started looking cracked and white streaked. The weather wasn't hot, and I had the fan going. To save time I used Hershey kisses as my base, which I have done in the past with no problem. The BC was the same BC I used on the cake, just colored it, had no problem with icing the cake.

Any suggestions or comments on what I might have done wrong? I don't mind going back to the Wilton Recipe, just that I usually make Sugar Shack's Recipe for the majority of my cakes and always have it available.

Thanks! Sandi

4 replies
Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #2 of 5

Hmm...As for the edges of your roses being 'cracked' try looking at the skinny end of your rose tip. Is it open wide enough? I use a pair of scissors to open up my tips a little wider (but not too wide). If the skinny part of the tip is closed up too much the icing isn't being piped out properly and that is why your rose edges are jagged. But your cake looks great anyway! Good job thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 5

It sounds like the 'new' shortenings might be your problem &/or you have hot hands. If you added a whole lot of paste color (especially Wilton's) it added to your woos icon_sad.gif
Why not keep a recipe of Wilton's stuff on hand for making roses and use the great recipe for all other decorating?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 5

hhm...sounds strange. I would probably stick with the Yuck-o Wilton for the roses. If it AIN'T broke, don't fix it!

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

It sounds like the 'new' shortenings might be your problem &/or you have hot hands. If you added a whole lot of paste color (especially Wilton's) it added to your woos icon_sad.gif
Why not keep a recipe of Wilton's stuff on hand for making roses and use the great recipe for all other decorating?

I think it's time I invest in some Hi Ratio type shortening. I haven't had any problems with the crisco until I tried to do the roses. For now I will just use the wilton recipe for the roses, people usually don't eat those anyways.

I am slowing replacing my wilton colors, which isn't too hard since I use them for cookie painting classes. I'm not a big fan of Wilton colors for buttercream. I did use Americolor for the red, but I just learned about some new (well, at least to me) powder coloring that is supposed to be even better.

Thanks for the suggestions! Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%