Getting Multiple Batches Of Buttercream The Same Tint

Decorating By Lollie20 Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm by Kara0524

Lollie20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lollie20 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 6

I am about to do my first wedding cake for a friend and her dress is champagne so i was going to tint the icing as close as i could to the dress. Is there a trick to getting all the batches the same color? Or is it just an eyeball kind of thing. Thanks for any help!

5 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 6

Count the number of drops of color you put in the first batch and do the same for the remaining batches (assuming all batches are the same size). After each batch is tinted you could start mixing them together until all are the same color.

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 6

Try tinting the water you add to your buttercream. This will ensure every batch is the same color. I would suggest making a lot more water than you think you need.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

Using the other suggestion you then put all the batches into one bowl and stir it up goodicon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1

Try tinting the water you add to your buttercream. This will ensure every batch is the same color. I would suggest making a lot more water than you think you need.

Wow, this idea is so simple, it's genius! thumbs_up.gif Thanks for sharing this one!

Kara0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kara0524 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 6

Those are some really great ideas. Just an FYI, I had to do a wedding cake the same color and I frosted two of the tiers the night before and the third and final tier the next morning. After I frosted the third one, I realized the other two that I had frosted the night before were definitely a lot darker. Okay maybe not a lot, but really really really noticeable to me and my friends. I freaked! By the time I had to deliver it to the wedding it was mildlly better but still noticeable to me. I'm a fondant girl and this was my first icing cake. Boy did I learn my lesson! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%