Class For Little Girls Advice

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm by brincess_b

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 12

I am giving a cookie decorating class to my daughter's daisies troop. Any ideas on how to keep it fun and interesting for the girls? Will it be too fast to just decorate a cookie? Any ideas?
I am thinking of bringing the sugar cokies and the royal icing already colored. I said yes and now I'm not sure the 5 yr olds will understand!!!
Thanks!!!!!
Sheila

11 replies
Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 12

That's the great thing about little kids...it's all about the experience. They don't care how it looks, it's just fun to use the professional tools!

That said...I would just set up different stations, with an example cookie at each station. Station 1- outline the cookie. 2- flood the cookie. 3- small decoration. 4- another decoration. Then they can see the progression of each step.

Good luck! Sounds fun!

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks! I am not sure if we should do regular icing or royal but your idea sounds fun and more organized. This Thursday is their valnetine's party so wish me luck!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 12

is this part of the girl guides?
i would say plan for them to get done quickly. probably a few who take there time, but really, they just want to get whats getting stuck on, and the finished product!
try and keep them well away from the tables before you start, or they will rush you along! maybe talk about cookies in general, all the different types, what are their favourites, then go one by one through some finished examples/ pictures, then set them loose!
xx

cor39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cor39 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 12

I did something similar with my Brownie Scouts. I contacted a local bakery (I have take a cake decorating class, but really I am just a novice) and the owner/decorator came out to do a class on cake decorating. My suggestion is that you have plenty of bags to go around, already assemebled with the tips and couplers. I would prefil the bags - my girls are Brownies and things got messy, your girls are a little younger, I would definitely prefil the bags and do have the three seperate stations set up before hand. My girls loved it. Still talk about it to this day - if you have someone that can help you - that can also teach the girls how to decorate - it would be helpful. I have a troop of 19 girls - there were two of us giving the class - and we still ran over our 1 1/2 hour meeting. Corina

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 12

When I do cookies with small children, I give them each a covered souffle cup of royal icing (easy to spread), a plastic knife, and assorted decorations. I'd probably make up daisies, hearts, m&ms--each girls gets the samething. Make the cookies large (4"). maybe 2 cookies each as it wil go fast...

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

is this part of the girl guides?xx

In the States, they are called Girl Scouts - Daisies and Brownies are younger troops of Girl Scouts.

Are you Canadian? My husband is and I heard him mention the term "Girl Guides" a long time ago.

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 12

If you have a vacuum sealer machine, you can fill the bags and then seal the end. Then you won't have icing leaking all over the place! Even if you rubberband the ends, sometimes those little girls can manage to squeeze icing through and make a huge mess.

Or maybe try the plastic bottles that the regular couplers screw on - I got a set at Michael's.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 12

In the mall I work for, we do Kidgits events and lately we've been decorating cookies for one of the crafts. We've found that the easiest (and most assuring to parents-safety and tampering is always a concern) way of giving kids the tools for decorating is to buy the icing in those squeeze tubes or the Wilton aerosol cans...as for decorations we go with bottles of sprinkles, colored sugars, etc. For the cookies we ask local supermarkets to donate those 24-ct. buckets of sugar cookies.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 12

If you go to the Wilton web site they have a Wilton Icing Fun section. It is for use for scouts and kids groups. You can purchase the kits but you can also just print off their paper work. It shows basic starter stuff, recipes and has pictures for ideas. I have used this tons, even for adult groups who are beginners.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 12

They even have a Girl Scout kit that comes with the patch

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 12

anitak - im in britain! we have rainbows, brownies, then guides.
xx[/quote]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%