Dummy Cake Resuable?

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm by leah_s

MeliaJ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 11

Is it possible to reuse the styrofoam for more than one dummy cake? I really dont have the space to keep a bunch but would rather decorate dummies, take pics, and start over.

10 replies
snowqueen93 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 11

I reuse them. Just make sure you take the fondant off soon after or else it will harden and then good luck icon_smile.gif

luelue1971 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 11

Absolutely. The buttercream or fondant may discolor the dummy somewhat but it really shouldn't make any difference.

icer101 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 11

when i use buttercream to decorate a dummy.... i use press and seal wrap... smooth it really good.. then decorate... sometimes.. the buttercream hardens before i take it off... i just hold it over the trash can... knock off the buttercream.. take off the press and seal.. use it again... when i cover with fondant.... i mist the dummy... some people use crisco to cover then dummy.. then put on their fondant... i have taken off fondant on dummies that i have had covered for a long time. it is hard... i take to trash can.. use heavy knife... knock it off... and use again... i have never had any problems doing this at all. hth

indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #5 of 11

what icer said ......

sparklepopz Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of 11

You can also soak the dummy in water and it will loosen all of the hardened BC, fondant, whatevah you used on it.

morgnscakes Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:58am
post #7 of 11

yeah, what icer and indydeb said with this exception...I usually wrap my dummies in shrink wrap. That way when it's time to take of the icing/fondant/what have you, I just go to the trash, unwrap and slide it off the dummy. Voila...it's ready to use again.

And before i discovered the shrink wrap, I just scraped off my icing and washed the dummy real good (and carefully so I wouldn't dent it too bad) and let it air dry for about a day to make sure it was nice and dry.

MeliaJ Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the tips! Glad to hear I dont have to keep buying dummies just for practice.

aggiechef Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 11

I know this may be a stupid question, but bear with me for a minute....I'm still a newbie icon_smile.gif

What's the difference between a cake dummy and a regular piece of styrofoam that you get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

-Tubbs Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 11

Dummies are made in exactly the sizes and shapes that you want for cake decorating. They are actually pretty cheap, although the larger sizes obviously get pricier.

I don't think there's anything special about the styrofoam.

leah_s Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 11

I've found the dummies to be compressed styro. Craft styro is more open and will actually eat its way thru the icing after a little while. A few years ago at our State Fair, someone used craft styro on a dummy and as it sat there, less and less cake icing was showing and more and more of the craft styro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%