I Need Information On Home Baking License In Pa

Business By prue23 Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 1:38am by mbpbrighteyes

prue23 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 14

I'm trying to find information on what I need to do in order to bake and sell cakes from my home. I live in PA and don't know where to go to get information, its all a bit confusing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

13 replies
cakedout Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 14

First, check with your local city/township/county ordinaces. I am not able to have an in-home business within the borough limits, but outside of town, in the township, I could-with the proper zoning varience.
(I had to submit a plan to the Borough Zoning to explain my business, who my clients were going to be, how much extra traffic to the community would the business create, and had to give them a diagram of available parking)

Once you know if you can have an in-home business in your location, start by going 'legal': get a tax number thru the IRS; get a bakery license thru the PA Dept of Agriculture. These are the folks that will come inspect your kitchen.

The laws have changed since I closed my shop, and you may be required to take the food safety course as well.

Hopefully this helps a bit. [/i]

trumpetmidget Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #3 of 14

I have my license and it is very easy. First, you have to call your township building and get a letter stating that you can have a cake business in your home. I've heard of some people who have problems, but mine was VERY easy. After you get that, call the department of agriculture for your county and get set up for an inspection. Finally, get a fictitious name. You don't need a tax id number - I forget why you would need it. There is a circumstance that it would be needed. If you have pets, you can't get your license. Period. Unless it is a caged animal or outide all the time. You can do a search on these forums and that will give you a lot of threads about PA licenses. HTH.

cakedout Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 14

You need a tax ID number because you will have to file quarterly taxes on anything that you sell, or services which are taxable...cake toppers, delivery fees, etc. Also- in order to purchase from wholesale vendors you will need a tax number.

prue23 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 14

thank u so much, its all really helpful information . . . thanks for sharing again!

JanH Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #6 of 14

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome to CC, prue23. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:



LisaR64 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 14

I'm in PA also, and just checked into licensing. I too had to get a letter from my township & also one from the local sewer authority. Because I have a dog, I can't bake out of my regular kitchen, but I can bake out of a second kitchen (in a basement, garage, etc.) providing the second kitchen has it's own separate entrance, and of course that my pet has no access.

prue23 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks janh! I kind of stumbled onto this site and just fell in love with it as I'm sure many others have icon_smile.gif I'm excited to check out all of the amazing cakes and to learn as much as I can.
I don't have any pets but I'm a little worried about how small my kitchen is, it'll prob be better to build another in my basement since I have more space there but for now I'm just getting all the info I can just to be better informed for the future . . . I'm doing my first 2 cakes for someone else other than my taster/crtitic (my lil sis), they are gifts for my nephew's 2nd birthday and my little cousin's baptism. I'm so excited and nervous all at the same time

cakedout Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 14

welcome to CC...and best wishes on your business adventure!

If you do not already receive American Cake Decorating magazine or Mailbox News magazine, I highly recommend them!

Also- consider becoming a part of the PA Chapter of ICES. We have a Day of Sharing/Cake Show weekend coming up this Spring (in State College)- April I think...gotta check my calendar. My ICES friends are a great source of instruction, information and moral support! icon_biggrin.gif

trumpetmidget Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 14

cakedout - can you get me info on that show? Thanks!

cakedout Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 14

go to the ICES site: ices.org
then on the right side at "Browse Our Site", click on "Upcoming Events"

Kim Morrison is the coordinator of the event, her e-mail is:
[email protected]

tell her Jackie sent you. icon_biggrin.gif

mbpbrighteyes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 14

Ooooh... This is so exciting! I'm in PA also and just started to gather all this info. Excited about this thread, and even more excited about the ICES day in State College! Going to email for more info today! Cakedout- thanks for mentioning it! Just started getting the ACD magazine and have considered the ICES, so great to read your reply! It's like some sort of addiction and aside from my buddies here at CC, every one else thinks I've gone mad with my obsession! Hello ICES! Grinning

prue23 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:30am
post #13 of 14

so much great info . . . thanks
about the ices event, what do u do there? and do u have to be a member to participate?

mbpbrighteyes Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #14 of 14

Prue23- Wish I could give you all the details, but here's what I know! I emailed Kim- the email address that is on the ICES page (and in this thread) and got back a general info sheet that said the registration forms and other info (hotel, banquet, etc) will be forthcoming this month! I believe you have to be an ICES member to attend (which can be done online). So I'm anxiously waiting for the details! Already have it marked on the calendar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%