What Type

Decorating By butterfly831915 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 6:35pm by all4cake

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 3

What type of chocolate would you use with this and also do you ice your cakes first with buttercream or whatever icing you are using then pour over or is it to be plain. Plan on making this wednesday. (or trying to) Can you store left over? Does it melt easily? Lots of questions before I waste my money.. The link below is the recipe I am planning on trying (unless you all have a different one I should try-easy is best for me)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-2116.html

Christina

2 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 3

I would use semi-sweet chocolate. chips work well. most usually, i ice the cake then pour the ganache over the top. there have been times that I've allowed it to cool/thicken...but not too thick...and spread it on the cake surface...doing it on a chilled (but not frozen) cake works best when I do it this way. it can be stored, tightly covered in the refrigerator or even frozen. it does melt easily (make sure not to heat it too quickly nor too hot...slowly...'until almost completely melted then stir slowly to finish the melting)

If chilled until firm, it can be scooped to form truffle centers as well. Sometimes, I incorporate liqueurs in the mix by adding it to the whipping cream after allowing it to come to a low boil/simmer.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 3

just so ya know...butter isn't necessary when making ganache...nor is sugar for that matter.

I usually just use heavy whipping cream and chocolate...the darker the chocolate, the more whipping cream...

1 cup hwc : 1-1 1/2 ss chocolate +1-3 tblsp flavor/liqueur

3/4 cup hwc: 1-1 1/2 milk chocolate chips + 1-3 tblsp flavor/liqueur

1/2 cup hwc : 1-1 1/2 white chocolate chips +1-3 tblsp flavor/liqueur

If after it's cooled, you find it's a bit too thick, simply heat up the ganache and add a bit of heated hwc to it to thin....and if you find it a bit too thin, simply heat up the ganache and add more chips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%