Is This Normal Not To Show A Price List On Your Website??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm by deliciously_decadent

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 12

I was snooping around several cakes sites in my local area and almost all of the sites do not have a price list shown.They have galleries and testimonials etc...but no prices.Just contact me!! Is this normal as the customer should just email you for prices or should a person at least have a small price list for cakes like slab cakes or cupcakes?? I have a price list because I don't want a million emails from people just tire kicking!! It saves me oodles of time and then when someone does order a cake they already know what the price is.Some exceptions apply when they are really cusom cakes like anniversary etc...

What do you all think??

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 12

If I don't see prices I think one of three thigns. 1.They're not doing cakes legally so they don't want to get caught with a price list up. 2. They're so expensive they don't want to scare people away with their prices. 3. They can't price anything out without knowing what they're dealing with in terms of design (because of the cost of custom work, but that is also related to reason #2.)

I do everything custom, so I don't have prices on my website, but I do write something about the range that I'm in for my town so that people don't call me thinking I'm Walmart.

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 12

I also have a vague "range" of prices on my site. I customize every cake and do a lot of sculptural work and portraits, that make it difficult to place a price before hand.

However, last night I did add a "per serving" amount for basic decorated cakes that aren't extremely time consuming, as well as Topsy-turvys. My "price per serving" is relatively low for those. It's labor, etc. that jacks the price up on those specialty cakes.

I wonder if I do scare people off by not being more specific...but I'm learning as I go. icon_smile.gif

classiccake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 12

I don't put prices on my website because:
1. I am not very good at keeping it updated, so I don't have to worry about price changes.

2. We do so much custom work that it is hard to give a good understanding online.

3. I would rather try to get them to come in, because once they see our work in person and taste our cake, they realize the value of our cakes.

4. I get tired of nosy competitors....not you IndyDebi!! icon_wink.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 12

I have a "basic" price list. I customize everything too so this is just a base price for my customers to follow. I am like you.. don't want a trillion emails!

marmalade1687 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 12

I used to have a basic price list on my website, but no one ever looked at it! I got tired of having to direct people to it, so I just took it off - I was getting the trillion emails anyway!! icon_rolleyes.gif

CakesByJen2 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 12

I don't get it either. There are several here that don't give any pricing info, either. Personally, when I am looking for a vendor for any type of product/service, anyone that doesn't have a website or doesn't give any pricing info at all, quickly drops to the bottom of my list. I don't have time to deal with phone calls or physically going everywhere. There are two shops here who won't tell you ANYTHING until you come in for a consult, and that makes no sense at all. These same shops won't give out pricing info at the bridal shows, either. I think the easier you make for the customer, the more likely you'll get their business. When I got married, there were several cake ladies and caterers I talked to on the phone, and all but one would not give me any pricing info on the phone. There was only one who gave me a starting per serving price for the cake, and per serving prices for all the different food items, right then. Guess who got my business??

I understand not being able to give detailed pricing info when you do custom work, but at least a starting price and what that covers. When I was in business, I gave my starting per serving price for both BC and fondant cakes, and explained that that included two cake flavors, two fillings, icing flowers, one separation, and local delivery. I did state price would vary with size and design, but that the average range for a *typical* order was $$$-$$$, and if they wanted a quote for a specific design, they could e-mail me. I didn't want to be bothered with dozens of phone calls and e-mails asking about prices, or from people who definitely wouldln't be able to afford me. At the bridal shows I gave out the same info, and my helpers and I could quote a starting price, serving range as shown, and total price for any of the design we had displayed, as dummies or in photos.

indydebi Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #8 of 12

icon_lol.gif classiccakes, we may be "competitors", but trust me .... you don't hvae to worry about me being your competition! icon_redface.gif You're in the column headed "Decorators I want to be like when I grow up!" icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put pricing on the website as a pre-qualifier. If they can't afford my pricing, then they don't waste my time calling. If they can afford my pricing, then half the selling is done by the time they call me.

As I move into fondant (and I'm working on a quote for what just might qualify as a carved cake! party.gif ), then I'm going to have more cakes/designs that will have a Design Fee instead of a flat per-serving price. But at least with some kind of pricing on the site, they get an idea of what the cost may run them.

Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:40am
post #9 of 12

I have prices "start at" $xx.xx for my gourmet flavors right on the Flavors page, and a Pricing page. I want to know that stuff as a consume, so I provide it as a retailer.

And I agree with Deb. I want them to see my prices before they waste my time calling and telling me all the details of what they want, the date, their dress, their colors, and how cute their niece will be as a flower girl if she gets over the flu soon enough, only to have me say, "your cake will cost at least $xx.xx" and have them go, "Oh...well, I can't afford THAT." Duh. I direct tire kickers to the website first, so they can spend some time shopping there before they call me back. Some do, some don't, but it saves me having to have that conversation where I have to explain that yes, people DO pay $6.00 a serving for cake. I want them to know what they're expecting to pay BEFORE we talk, or they're wasting their time and mine.

MaloSlatko Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #10 of 12

A high-end local bakery have, what I believe, a really great way of handling pricing on their website. They provide examples of cakes that they have recently done with a total cost for the cake and also include the number of servings.

I really like this because a per-serving price for a "basic" design is still a very, very broad definition. We all know that each person's idea of a basic design is different.

Most people have a picture of a Sylvia/Colette/Toba creation in their head and their local decorator's starting price is a LONG way away from this. I think if they can see 10 "real" cakes on a site ranging from simple to complex with a price from each it would save them and the decorator a lot of hassle.

I do not decorate for a living but when I first saw these people's prices, any guilt I had from friends/family sending me flowers/chocolates etc. as a thank you for the free cakes I make for them was gone icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #11 of 12

If there isn't at least an idea of pricing, I go somewhere else.

It isn't only poor people who want to know a price range up front. Those rich folks don't stay rich by throwing money around.

deliciously_decadent Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 12

from all the websites i have seen (and believe me thats more than a couple icon_biggrin.gif ) i have noticed a pattern, american cake websites state prices per serve in a range of areas, everyone else either don't state anything except that prices vary depending od level of design style and size of cake and that they charge per slice or state a starting minimum price or a starting per serving price that goes up form there. as an aussie i can tell you that here we basically don't state prices because everycake is different and to state a price per cake will upset the bride when she has a 'price' in her head and the actual price turns out to be higher, it avoids conversations like "yes i know that prices start at $4 a serve but you asked for this that and the other which now makes your cake $8 a serve then you find they have a melt down when you add delivery etc, this way they give you all the info and you give them back one price in total they either take it or they don't but you don't get the annoying tight ass conversations i have seen when you start out stating your prices, JMO though of course and as i said its done a bit differently here too thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%