Fnc Birthday Bombshell- What Do You Think?

Lounge By alyssia2777 Updated 22 Jan 2009 , 4:53am by CambriasCakes

alyssia2777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssia2777 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 7

So- initially going into it as I was watching the newest Food Network Challenge titled "Birthday Bomb", I was thinking maybe another extreme cake competition, hence the word 'Bomshell'. Little did I know that the "Bombshell" would be more like grenades as the 3 clients- triplets- had a very strong presence on the stage and in the kitchens the entire 8 hours that the chefs were working! What pressure!!! This is the first episode that I have ever seen where the mystery guest actually gave real time feedback as the cake designs were being executed AND were asking about technique and progress. It would be one thing if the feedback they were giving was something that anybody could do anything about without having to redesign and create a totally new cake. I was thinking "Really Food Network?" You all have some of the most talented pastry chefs being grilled by some 18 year olds? I wonder if they would put Chef Bobby Flay or Chef Mario under these same kinds of pressure for $10,000- probably not. I completely understand that the essence of competition is who can outshine and overcome all of the obstacles, but seriously- what chef has the client running around in the kitchen as they are making magic while the client is critiquing evrything and asking questions while they work? Norman, did an awesome job as he rose to the occassion. I must say I was very impressed with everyone's work, but I didn't like the drama factor.

6 replies
Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 7

I thought the whole thing was very fakey and contrived. And the whole "come up with a name and logo" bit was too much. This was my least favorite challenge ever.

I will say, that my most favorite judge in the whole wide world (insert eyeroll here) was in rare form, handing out compliments left and right like she just renewed her prescription for happy pills. I won't name her name, lest her posse come after me again and burn me at the stake.

icon_rolleyes.gif

alyssia2777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssia2777 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 7

I am right with you with that one!! I will not name names either BUT i will say that I HATE THAT DARNED headband!!! It was most definitely too soap opera like for me. I think I must have said "get the hell out of here" at least 10 times!!! icon_twisted.gif

lisad1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisad1 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 7

I think Bronwen Weber should have won that one, her cake was the most polished, and creative. With cakes at every angle.

I'm surprised that no one went more extravagent with the whole film/acting/directing theme. They all decided to go with color, rather
then interest...which is just strange if you ask me. There just wasn't anything exciting about any of them, Norman only won because he made little figures of each of them, and i am sorry, but a kid could have made those!!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssia2777

I will not name names either BUT I will say that I HATE THAT DARNED headband!!!

icon_lol.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 7

I didnt see this one, but im kind of eager to see what all the fuss is about! There was another thread about it too. BTW I also cant stand that headband, i just dont get it. icon_biggrin.gif

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 4:53am
post #7 of 7

[quote="alyssia2777"]I am right with you with that one!! I will not name names either BUT i will say that I HATE THAT DARNED headband!!!

HA HA HA!!!! What is up with that anyhow?

I couldn't stand to watch it for more than 20 minutes - those kids were working my nerves!! "We like film but we don't want film reels on the cake!"
"GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN" is what I would have said!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%