Rice Krispie Treats...how Early?

Decorating By buffim Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm by slice09

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I am going to be making a monster truck for my nephews birthday. I'm wondering how early I can make the rice krispie treats (for the tires)? I've never used them before so I want to make sure I don't make them to early so they don't taste stale.

The cake is for Sunday.

Also, if I will be putting fondant over the rice krispies, do I put icing on first? I assume so, but thought I would double check.

Thanks for any help!!

7 replies
cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 8

I'm really anxious to hear what everyone has to say about rkt. I tried working with them over the holidays, and found it nearly impossible. What's the trick to working with rkt?

loucarp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loucarp Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 8

If you are making the rice krispie treats, I would hold off until later in the week. Actually, if I only needed the rkt for the tires, I would buy one of the large rkt treat bars.
I do not use any icing on the rkt prior to covering with fondant. It sticks nicely. The only problem you may encounter is the bumpiness of the rkt.
Hope this helps.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 8

I have only ever used RKT once (for a ladybug head) but I was not concerned with it still being edible. I packed the RKT into the form I needed then smothered it with Crisco to fill in any pockets or rough spots. The Cisco also helped the fondant stick & form around the RKT really well. Wouldn't eat it though even if you paid me! icon_lol.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 8

I made rkt tires for the monster truck cake in my photos, I made them the same day I decorated the truck.
I just formed tire shapes and then glued them to a 6" cardboard cake board (for stability) using royal icing and chilled them in the fridge . Then I iced them with butter cream and rolled them smooth, covered in fondant and that was it. They were my first tires and turned out easier then I thought.
I don't know if others have used a cake board with their tires but I didnt want to take a chance of them losing their shape , and it worked out for me.
Good Luck!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

I usually mash the rice cereal a bit to make the pieces a little smaller. It helps with the bumps, but it dries them out. To be honest, with the RKT figurines I am usually more interested in look than taste.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for all of your help! If I could find the large rkt bar I think I'd try that, but I live in a small town now and there are a lot of things I can't get here! argh!

slice09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slice09 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 8

I used RKT on my Halo cake and I did them the night I needed them. I did some of my shaping by hand and with cutters, and while I was shaping I tried to smash the rice krispies a bit so they wouldn't be so bumpy under the fondant. As loucarp posted, I didn't use any icing under the fondant either. I think if you wanted a smoother texture you could try the icing. I found them to be a very easy medium to work with.javascript:emoticon('icon_smile.gif')

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%