Did Norman Davis Just Won Challenge?

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm by costumeczar

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 58

and against bronwen weber? come on! I mean, it's nice that he dedicated the win to his recently passed father but, his wasnt the best cake.

I hate it when the clients get to pick the cake because they dont know anything about cakes. But I do know that they are the ACTUAL clients but arrrrgghhh!

I also know that bronwen's cake was a little to bright, it was more childish, but still was better than Norman's.

Cindy's cake was more dark colors and also beautiful, and.... better than Norman's.

Am I going crazy here? that cake was horrible, did not make any sense to me, it had nothing to do with the kids interests like how does white chocolate curls relates to them? i dunno

it's just a thought, what do you think?

57 replies
SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #2 of 58

yeah....I like Norman Davis and his cakes but I agree those chocolate curls were not really for an 18 year old b-day cake....I love Bronwen Webber....I always want her to win!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #3 of 58

Is that Birthday Bombshell? It's just coming on now.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:40am
post #4 of 58

I was a little disappointed in the cakes on tonight's show. I missed the beginning of the show so this could be why I'm thinking this but.........did they have to be round tiered stacked cakes?

About the white chocolate curls...........seeing it was kind of a "film, movie, production" themed cake, were the curls supposed to look like popcorn?

I guess the important thing to remember is the client has to like the overall cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I guess the important thing to remember is the client has to like the overall cake.

the client is the ONLY judge that matters.

When we are seeing what movies we want to check out, we ALWAYS pick the one the critics didn't really like ... because pretty much everyone knows if the "expert" hates it, then it's a great movie! icon_lol.gif

So just because we "experts" prefer this or that decor and execution, the client is the final judge ... always. thumbs_up.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #6 of 58

The triplets just said they liked Norman's using their personalities in the cake, the others didn't seem to be as personal. They seem to like his logo best, as well.
Jason seemed to be having a really bad day. Pissed all the time, even his assistant said he wanted to punch him. eek!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #7 of 58

Jason did seem to have an attitude tonight.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #8 of 58

Man I missed it again!!! I gotta get my dvr back!!! ! ! ! !!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #9 of 58

Gosh. I was totally dissapointed with this episode. I didn't like Norman's cake at all. I thought Cindy's was gorgeous. I loved it, but it didn't incorporate much of their "personalities". I was really annoyed that the kids wanted the cake decorators to make logos and names for their "company". Their not 18 yet - what are they going to produce?

Susie53 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 58

It will be on again...much later, 2:00 central time, 3:00 eastern time.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #11 of 58

I agree.. his cake was akward looking. Too wide or something... and the top tiers were too small and the colors were odd. But he did work the clients well and I like him as a person. I think he needed to win on a personal level. I don't think he would have done another one if he didn't.

I didn't like Bronwen's cake either... she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I liked Cindy's cake the best but it wasn't personal enough to appeal to children. Jason's cake was odd too... I think he shouldn't have phisically cut the cake into thirds but rather sectioned it out visually. The giant gaps between the separations were not pleasing at all.

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #12 of 58

i didn't like norman's.... i like jason better .actually i didn't like none of them i think they all could have done alot better..

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:42am
post #13 of 58

I didn't like or "get" any of the designs. It wasn't one of the better challenges. Having three kids 18 and older (3 more of them right behind...lol), I know how difficult it can be to design a cake for that particular age. They're not kids anymore but not quite adults yet. However, I would have loved to sampled the cakes. The flavors sounded delicious!

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:01am
post #14 of 58

i didnt really like this challenge. and i thought it was crazy for the kids to wait for there to be only an hour and a half left to ask for a logo. i would have gotten pissed too

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:46pm
post #15 of 58

It was nice that everyone actually finished their cakes for a change!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:54pm
post #16 of 58

I only saw the last 5 minutes, they were critiquing Bronwyn when I realized Challenge was on icon_cry.gif . I got a glimpse of all the cakes, I set my dvr and will watch it all tonight....right before Bachelor comes on, lol. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 58

It was obvious all the designers already had their cake designs in mind without even knowing what the challene would be, and then just tried to modify colors and little details to make it fit, and it showed in the lack of personalization and generic looks. I understand having to have a gameplan in mind is a necessity because of the time contraints, but that is exactly what I don't like about these "surprise" challenges. You end up with very safe, less interesting cakes than on challenges where they know the theme ahead of time and can design and practice in advance.

Personally, I did not like Norman's cake at all. I have never cared for that chocolate curl thing he does, too bristly looking for me, and it's old. Although the kids said they thought he best incorporated their interests, I didn't see it. He definitely did the best job of interacting with and involving the kids, which I'm certain is what won it for him. I thought Cindy's cake was the prettiest, though I guess didn't reflect their interests enough. I thought Bronwen's construction was interesting and I liked the different graphics, but I think it would've been better if the colors had been toned down, and the very bottom tier looked way too busy. I didn't really care for the way Jason's cake was divided, but I liked the effect of the gradation of color from bottom to top and the decoration was pretty, but I didn't see where it reflected their interests at all. I didn't get why the one kid was being so pissy about the stars. That was just one small element of the cake, not like the whole design was based on stars. I thought he was being a jerk. Jason usually seems more relaxed than that, I guess he was just having a bad day and it seemed those kids just really rubbed him the wrong way. I would not handle people coming around and asking questions and making last-minute demands while I was working, either.

Asking them to do a logo was a neat idea, EXCEPT that should have been said at the beginning, NOT with just over an hour left!

I still think they should have another (non-celebrity) cake decorator be the "client" for one of these challenges. I've never had a cool birthday cake icon_sad.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 58

I think that compared to to other challenges the cakes were simple. But then again, in the middle os such stressfull situation, they did great.
Edna

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 58

I didn't like any of the cakes. I don't see how Norman's cake included their interest, except he made the 3 figurines of them doing acting, writing, and directing.

I was sad that Jason didn't deliver, I usually love his cakes.

Cindy was OK, her cake was a little too ordinary for me.

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 58

I didn't like Norman's cake either......it just didn't flow together. But that's just my opinion. I liked Cindy's the best because of the color scheme she had going. I thought Bronwyn's was interesting looking, but like previously stated, there was too much going on in the bottom.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:11pm
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

Gosh. I was totally dissapointed with this episode. I didn't like Norman's cake at all. I thought Cindy's was gorgeous. I loved it, but it didn't incorporate much of their "personalities". I was really annoyed that the kids wanted the cake decorators to make logos and names for their "company". Their not 18 yet - what are they going to produce?

I was also disapointed with all the cakes...they were overdone, had no personality to them and I agree, did they have to be round stacked cakes? I was hoping to see some cool film reals or something like that. They didnt listen to the triplets at all! Where is Mike when you need him?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #22 of 58

I think Mike is too good to do the challenges anymore.. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #23 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

I was also disapointed with all the cakes...they were overdone, had no personality to them and I agree, did they have to be round stacked cakes? I was hoping to see some cool film reals or something like that. They didnt listen to the triplets at all! Where is Mike when you need him?

norman was gona put film reels but one of the triplets said he didnt want it at all

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #24 of 58

Shoot-I missed it! That what I get for getting a new DVR and forgetting to record it. icon_smile.gif I am sad to hear so many people were disappointed. It seems like Challenge has gone way down hill lately. I watched an old one, several years old, where Rebbecca Sutterby was on, and won with a relatively simply cake. But, what was nice about it, was that the cakes weren't outrageous, just beautiful cakes!

Susie53 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #25 of 58

Norman had sketched film reels in his cake design and decided not to use them.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 58

Poop. I missed it. Off to FoodNetwork.com to see when if will be on again this week...

I'm getting tired of watching Norman win, though.

sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #27 of 58

I was liking Bronwen's cakes until she dissed Norman - there's no reason to get bitchy about it... salesmanship is part of the job. Anyone that has ever met Norman knows he's got a great personality and is always smiling. She lost my vote right then.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:26pm
post #28 of 58

Heck - I liked all the cakes. What I didn't like were the brats they had as clients. I could've done without them. JMO

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #29 of 58

I agree completely with Indydebi - the CLIENT is the only one who matters. I see cakes all the time that I think are just hideous, but if that's what the client wants then that's what the client gets. And these kids have no clue about making these cakes. All they want is something that looks good to them and has some personal element.

I did get a big kick out of the whole "make us a logo" thing. As a decorator I wouldn't want that thrown at me last minute, but looking at it from a client's perspective it sure says a lot about the decorator when you see their reaction to a last minute request. Jason is always good for some drama because he does get a real diva attitude at times. I expected Kerry to say something to him about his attitude after he got so irritated over the logo. When the kids picked up right away that he was mad about the logo, I knew there was no way he was winning that challenge, even if they totally loved his cake.

I give Norman credit for using one of his major strengths - his personality. When I go to buy something - whether it's a car or a box of dog biscuits - the sales person can either make or break the deal. I can get the best deal in town but if the salesman is a schmuck, forget it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #30 of 58

[quote="jkalman"
I didn't like Bronwen's cake either... she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. /quote]

Me too......sometimes she can come across like, "I'm Bronwen Weber for crying out loud...how DARE you not LIKE my cake?" I'm sure at least ONE of her clients hasn't liked their cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%