Problem With Transferring Gel Picture To Buttercream

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 11:11am by dogluvr

dogluvr Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #1 of 18

Hi....I've tried a couple of times and it is just not working. I am trying to transer a picture of spiderman made from gel on parchment paper. I turned it over on the BC and rubbed to transfer, but its not tranferring...its making a big mess.....any ideas....my BC was crusted.

17 replies
hummingbird59 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:36am
post #2 of 18

Are you just outlining the picture or transferring the complete picture? I have outlined in piping get before and it worked ok although some is hard to see unless colored.

dogluvr Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:39am
post #3 of 18

I did the whole picture...maybe I should try just the outline...but the outline didn't come out either......

jammjenks Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #4 of 18

It sounds like maybe it is drying out a bit while you're working. I use this method all the time, but I only do an outline. Try an outline only and do it quickly so that it doesn't have time to dry.

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #5 of 18

I use the pin-prick method. Works like a charm and when you pipe over it the pinholes don't show! icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #6 of 18

It is drying out on you. When you try to do too much it has time to dry and then won't transfer.

hummingbird59 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #7 of 18

If you want to transfer the whole picture, why not try FBCT?

dogluvr Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 11:36am
post #8 of 18

Ok...I bet its drying....I didn't think the gel would dry....it took me a long time to do the whole spiderman. I did't want to do the FBCT on this one because I think the gel looks really cool for the spiderman...sortof a wet look....looks like I will try just the outline then fill in on the cake...thank you all for your responses.......I'll try the outline tonight...the cake if for this coming weekend...I am trying it out on the back of a large round pan for practice.....

dogluvr Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 18

Also, does it matter if I use parchment or wax paper...is one better than the other...I used parchment for this one.

jammjenks Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 18

I don't even own any parchment paper. I always use wax paper, but I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

dogluvr Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:19am
post #11 of 18

Thank you, I appreciate your responses....I know now it was too dry

dogluvr Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #12 of 18

anyone know if there is a difference when using wax paper or parchment paper when transferring a picture made from gel to a cake.....

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I use the pin-prick method. Works like a charm and when you pipe over it the pinholes don't show! icon_biggrin.gif

I thought of doing this.... I'm new to this decorating thing and have not tried either one yet..but pinholes are looking pretty good thumbs_up.gif

marion123 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:51am
post #14 of 18

bobwonderbuns, could you tell me how to do the pin prick? I had the same problem this weekend.

thanks
carissa

dogluvr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #15 of 18

Yes, I have done the pin prick metchod...but with spiderman...there are sooooooooo many little lines I thought the transfer would be best.....I'm going to try both, just outlining spiderman, then pin prick if that doesn't work..

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #16 of 18

When I use the piping gel method I actually let it dry completely. This method leaves an impression in the crusted buttercream and no gel on the cake. I have used this for transferring a lace pattern multiple times for a wedding cake. It really does work well. Let it dry for about 40 minutes to an hour before using. Start it right after you put your cake in the oven, then by the time you need it for your cake it will be firm enough to transfer without leaving a mess. It's also flexible, so peel it off of the cake after pressing gently into the frosting.

I like to use waxed paper so that it is easier to see through.

HTH

Michele

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 12:34am
post #17 of 18

Another idea: how are you applying your gel? I remeber when I learned this method in the first Wilton class (it didn't work for me then either. I have never bothered trying it again and have done FBCT's since) and was taught to apply it with a paintbrush. Have you tried piping the gel on using a tip one or two (depending on how fine the lines need to be)?

Although I do find the idea of Sugarflowers' very interesting. I'm thinking of giving that one a try.

Thanks for sharing that, Sugarflowers!!

dogluvr Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 11:11am
post #18 of 18

I think my original problem is because the gel dried and didn't transfer....but maybe I should gently rub it to leave the impression...I saw that it wasn't working and kept trying to get it to transfer then it made a mess by pulling up the BC...I used a paintbrush to rub the back to transfer and when that wasn't working, I rubbed with my hands....I must have done it too much and pushed too far into the BC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%