Misc Mmf Questions

Decorating By TikiGoddess Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 2:46am by jenlg

TikiGoddess Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 3

I am preparing to make my daughter's 6th birthday cake (a pirate ship!). Two questions for all you cake goddesses out there:

1. I got a Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas (thanks honey!). Can you use it to make MMF? Does it work well or am I better off kneading it by hand?

2. I love the look of fondant cakes and how creative you can be with them. However I really like trying different fillings for cakes. Am I right in thinking that you really can't do a fondant covered cake with a filling that needs to be refrigerated?

2 replies
GI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 3

Oh welcome to CC! You will just love this site! It's chockfull of info and the cake decorators here are a bunch of fabulously talented people! icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats on getting a KA for Christmas! thumbs_up.gif Yep, KA will handle the MMF. However, I love to make MMF in my microwave: read this thread by FlowerGirlMN! It's simple, fun, easy, and oh-so-fast! If I can do this, then anyone can! icon_biggrin.gif

And there are some fillings that don't need refrigeration, but I wouldn't put a fondant cake in the fridge at all. Fridge dries out your cakes. Fondants get gummy. Altho, there have been a few of the better decorators (than me, anyways) who can put a cake in the fridge. icon_redface.gif

here's some other stuff to take a peak at:

jenlg Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 3

My KA works great with the mmf. I've seen lots of people put their fondant covered cakes in the fridge. Even the ones on food network and the Amazing Cakes (think thats the title) put theirs in. I guess its just personal preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%