Matrix And Scratch Baking

Business By kellertur Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 6:47am by Chef_Stef

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #1 of 4

Is there a way to use the Pricing matrix for scratch bakers? I see a place for "cake mixes" but I don't use them. I posted this question last year but didn't get any answers. Can anyone please help answer this?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 4

If I were you, I would use the price matrix to fit your needs. I don't use the box mix, either. But I'll keep that field "open" so if I needed an extra line, item, or grocery piece, I have a spot to keep it in. I am a scratch baker, so keeping your costs down is important, I know.

I would use the matrix for your precise recipes you use. I'm still trying to do the higher math icon_cry.gif but I have resorted to on-line math'ing... like, how many cups of cake flour is in a 50'lb bag icon_lol.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 4

thank you~ I guess I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the matrix.
It's a WONDERFUL tool and the person who made it was incredibly generous. I KNOW I'm still undercharging, and it will add clarity to see where I'm going wrong with costs.

As another scratch baker, how do you add your ingredient costs? I'm going to look over the instructions again. icon_confused.gif I don't use eggs or dairy and there are ingredients I'd like to add... is that possible?

thanks for your time. icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:47am
post #4 of 4

I tweaked the whole thing to match my exact recipes and icing--added some pages, etc., and took out the box mix stuff. So it's very customize-able if you know how to work with the formulas, which aren't hard if you look at how they work.

I even added a page where I can put in the ingredients for any recipe I make, and it will tell me what the cost to make that recipe is, and what markup should be. So...yes, you can tweak it. Just spend some time figuring out what you want it to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%