New To The Group :0)

Business By weloveaparty Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm by Win

weloveaparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weloveaparty Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys,

I'm new to the group and just wanted to say hi, and ask some questions. I currently own a children's party planning business, and have recently been taking classes for cake decorating. Its something I would like to add on to my business. I've been reading a bunch of the old posts about becoming a legal kitchen. I've looked online everywhere and I am having a hard time finding any clear answers to what needs to be done next. I have a two family house with my parents. My kitchen downstairs is NEVER used for cooking, just my baking, so I think by having this separate kitchen is a good start. I am located in NJ. any answers?????

Thanks!!
Melissa

7 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 8

Hi! icon_biggrin.gif Welcome to CC. You'll love this site! here is a link regarding businesses and also States who license. As any business, it is always best to follow your County/City codes, too.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218.html

This is perfect for those acronyms icon_lol.gif Sometimes people don't know what WASC, DS, DF, PITA, stands for (o.k., so I don't know if PITA is in here, icon_redface.gif , but I use it all the time at work. You know, like bread...yea, right!)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

newbies who want to comment on cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-423993.html

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #3 of 8

Hi, welcome!

I wish I could help, but I'm from Oklahoma. So what GI has given you is wonderful information. If you need more all you need to do is ask. Everyone is so helpful here. I love this place, but be careful! You could burn your cookies and/or cake from becoming addicted to CC. icon_eek.gif

Toni

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, weloveaparty. icon_smile.gif

GI has given you some great info!

Look forward to seeing you online.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 8

Hey..
welcome aboard this place is addictive but very useful for anyone with a business, in the very least it gives you a place to share and discuss with others who are as cake crazy as you will become!! A childrens part planning biz...now that sounds llike great fun! Something I would lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve to do if only there were 48 hrs to my dayicon_sad.gif hee hee...welcome once again!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Melissa,

I'm from NJ and it is virtually impossible to have a cake business from home. Start with your local town hall and ask questions, but I'm pretty sure you will have to have a commercial kitchen. It's a lot of work and not as easy as you may think.

Welcome to the site and all the best!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 8

Hi! Welcome to CC! It is most certainly addicting but so worth it in the end! I am from Texas so I can't help in the home kitchen business but I wish you the best!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 8

Hi, and welcome. Another one not from your state, but know that researching through each state's agriculture guidelines -or if you have an county extensions service- is often the key to finding out if a home-based baking business is legal. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%