Lace Effect On Buttercream?

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm by jennabell441

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 9

How do I achieve a lace pattern on buttercream by piping, etc.? I've seen this done and it's stunning. Could someone please explain this?

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 9

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.wilton.com/technique/Cornelli-Lace

Be sure to use a very small tip and VERY thin icing (or take lots of Aleve ahead of time to fight the hand cramps!) icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Debi~

I'm thinking I meant "embroidery" effect. There are a number of wedding gown cake photos that appear to have a "pattern" piped in buttercream, but it doesn't look like cornelli lace. icon_confused.gif

By the way, yesterday I received that book you suggested I buy. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #4 of 9

Get a highlighter or a supply of post-it notes ... you'll mark a lot of passages!

I love that embroidery look but haven't tried it yet. I need to add that to my 2009 Goals and Objectives!! thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 9
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 9

K2... I have seen some decorators use the actual lace from the dress, and lightly press it onto the cake, then pipe over the pattern with a very small tip..... And there are alot of what I would call impression mats that have different embroidery patterns on them...... I shouldn't say "mat"..... but more like a plastic tool with a pattern...... does that make any sense ???

kellertur Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 9

serious cakes~ that's beautiful, but it wasn't a painted effect... I didn't know how else to describe what I saw on that cake. But thank you icon_smile.gif

Impression Mat... that might be the "trick". I always assume everyone else is struggling (like me) to do everything freehand ~ but then I discover there are all these "tricks of the trade" to help us out... thumbs_up.gif I'm sure lots of people can pipe these designs freehand, but the transfer method seems like a great way to train yourself. I just need to practice keeping my hands steady... they get so tired and cramped. (I'm impatient) icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm going to look at the photos again and see if that's it.
Thanks very much!!! icon_smile.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 9

I don't know if this is the kind of lace you're talking about, but I have 2 cakes with fondant lace in my photos. I bought the molds at elegantlacemolds.com

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292162

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254183

Jodie

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 9

I bought a mold for the hatbox cake I made. You can check my pics and see if that is what you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%