Stability Of Icing Colors..not Sure How To Describe This..

Decorating By lolobell Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:42am by lolobell

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 8

Hi! Okay, this is going to be difficult to explain but I'll try because I'm so tired of this happening...

Whenever I color icing I always use Wilton Gels, once I get the color mixed, it's great but then all of a sudden (usually once it gets in the piping bag which are Wilton disposables) it almost becomes "glittery" if the coloring separates from the icing. It's so strange. When I use whipped BC, it never mixes color....but now I'm using Indydebis and it happened again but not in the bowl, just when it hits the bag. I hate this because I don't want glittery icing!!! I hope this makes sense and someone can explain it to me. I should have taken a picture when it happened to me this weekend but I didn't think of it. Anyway, thought you could help minus a photo!

Thanks in advance,

7 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:47am
post #2 of 8

I know that look! It's kind of like it separates! I hate that! Once I switched to Wal-Mart (Great Value) that does have the trans-fat, it stopped happening. You may want to try using meringue powder in BC if you want to keep using the recipe you prefer. I hope this helps!

jlsheik Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

It is probably the 0 trans fat....try Indydebis will be glad you did!!

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #4 of 8

I do use Indydebis BC! Still happens. It's driving me mad. I use Crisco and from what I learned here they took out trans fats huh? So, that may be it???

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO glad you know what I'm talking about!!! Isn't it hard to explain?!?!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 2:35am
post #5 of 8

It is...drove me crazy at first. Now I only have that problem when I use whipped cream frosting. Glad we could help!

jlsheik Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 8

I have never had Indy's do that but I use crisco sticks and I use whole milk it has more fat in it. Maybe that helps.
I hope you get it figured out!!

sparklepopz Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 8

That white separation is from the icing getting warm. The shortening gets too soft and won't hold the color. I see this all the time in my students' icing when the heat from their hands starts to affect the consistency.

Add a bit of cornstarch to your icing when this happens and it will fix the problem.

lolobell Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:42am
post #8 of 8

interesting stuff....would have never known that.......guess that's why it stays the same in the bowl but not the bag!
Everyone gave such great advice and I will apply all of it!

Amazing what I learn on here each and every day! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%