Fbct

Decorating By buttawhench Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm by mclaren

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 12:02am
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I pulled the recipe of this site to experiment with. I have never made a FBCT before.
Has anyone ever tried to apply one to the side of a cake, ie baby block?
I think my customers would prefer this to fondant.
Thanx

8 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 7:55am
post #2 of 9

I haven't personally done a FBCT but have plans to try one next week and found this post tonight. It does mention that you can put the FBCT on the sides but that you have to make sure it has attached well.

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11.html

HTH! icon_smile.gif

buttawhench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttawhench Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the response.

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 9

I love using this... and yes many people find it taste better than fondant... I even used it on a wedding cake I dusted the surface with luster dust and filled in some unity rings which I place around the bottom layer of my cake. Also I took a lace mold and filled it in and froze it over night(I put a toothpick in the middle to help me pull it out) and the icing just popped out... I really helps when you have very hard details that take forever if you are doing them by hand..

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #5 of 9

don't mean to hijack OP's thread, but i have some questions on FBCT as well.

how different is wax paper & parchment? i can't seem to find wax paper sold anywhere near i live, & i only have parchment available. will the BC come off & adhere well to the crusted BC on the cake if i use parchment?

i'm going to attempt my first ever FBCT next week, & really freaking out on how it will turn out!

bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 9

mclaren, I don't know if you found an answer, but I've read that wax paper is recommeded because you can see through it somewhat, but parchment paper is hard to see through. I don't think it would stick to the parchment, but you may have a hard time seeing through it to do the FBCT. Some people have suggested transparency sheets like what is used on an overhead projector. Maybe you could find something like that near you.

mclaren Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

bmcd17, thanks so much for the information.

i've just completed my 1st ever FBCT (i used parchment as i couldn't find wax paper anywhere here -- i don't live in the US).
as far as having the BC detach perfectly from the parchment onto the cake, i would say, i was successful at that.

however, i still need to perfect my filling in BC into the outline. hope the next time will result in a better workmanship. icon_biggrin.gif
as for the outline, i used wilton's tube black ready made icing, boy, i nearly lost my hand squeezing the tube, the icing is surely very thick.

bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 9

I was afraid I would have been too late since you posted last week. Glad to hear it was successful for you. No wax paper anywhere. It makes me want to mail some to you!

I've only done a FBCT once and it turned out pretty well. Definitely want to try another one. I might be doing that for a superbowl cake this weekend.

I've read that ready made icing is a little stiff. Good luck next time you try one!

mclaren Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

yes, i'm sure with wax paper my outlining would be much, much more easier, since i was using parchment, i had another printout in front of me as a guide. however, silly me, i had the guide printout printed the right way, not mirror image as the one i was outlining, so there were times i got confused ha ha...

i, too, will definitely try again next time, hope i can get a better result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%